Live food

Rudles

I have a Angelfish who has been relegated back to the 20 high after eating 13 of 14 Neon Tetras in the 29. This after years of flake food.
I'm thinking of putting some live bearers in with him to provide him with live food. Ichecked Aqua Huna and all they sell are males.Recommendations?

• Like 1

I personally am not a fan of feeding live fish to other fish.  Call me crazy and I know it happens in the wild and all that but ehhh just not for me.  Have you thought about cultivating other live foods for your angles..... Brine shrimp, white worms ect.  

I will be breeding fish so I am setup for BBS already but also setting up for white worms as well as vinegar eels. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:40 AM, Colu said:

You could also feed him a range of frozen foods.like blood worms brine shrimp daphnia Cyclops

I don't have access to a LFS. I have to order everything online. The nearest pet store is Petco in Juneau (280 miles away) and they refuse to ship anything. 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:44 AM, Rudles said:

I don't have access to a LFS. I have to order everything online. The nearest pet store is Petco in Juneau (280 miles away) and they refuse to ship anything. 

Wow that sucks.   To do live white worms is not done in a tank but a tupperware container. Once setup and running...you can make it go forever.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

Another live food that's easy to raise are flightless fruit flies.

There are two varieties. The Melangastor are the smaller of the two.

Lots of fish love them and they are super easy to keep going.

Edited by Scott P.
  • Like 1

Please take this with a tablespoon of salt. It is something I have read about on a few occasions but have absolutely no first hand knowledge. I read feeding live foods more and more to fish who eat and nip other fish encourages this behavior as anything alive they then deem food. Again grain of salt here just wanted to throw ya some food for thought. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, Rudles said:

I have a Angelfish who has been relegated back to the 20 high after eating 13 of 14 Neon Tetras in the 29. This after years of flake food.
I'm thinking of putting some live bearers in with him to provide him with live food. Ichecked Aqua Huna and all they sell are males.Recommendations?

That's one of the reasons I don't support Aqua Huna.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:26 AM, Rudles said:

I would bet you could just feed the angelfish whatever you were feeding before it decided neon tetras would be tasty. If I did not have a desire to keep and breed the livebearers I probably wouldn't keep them just to have as a food source for another fish. If you put the livebearers in the 20 with the Angelfish it might just kill or eat them all.

My past Aquahuna orders have worked out for me up here. They normally have groups of males, groups of females, unsexed groups of 6, or trios of their livebearers. I might try their Koi/Tri Swordtail - 6 pack that are normally in-stock if I wanted livebearers from them right now. They are very responsive on any issues in the rare instance when one happens on arrival. 

The benefit of hunting live fish, even for the "pure" piscivore, isn't something that requires constant feedings in my opinion; I would argue that all of the reported "pure fish eaters" feed fairly sporadically in nature and eat a variety of fish, crustaceans, amphibians, insects, miscellaneous worms, etc. when they do eat live foods.

I generally utilize live fish as a semi-regular trigger of hunting behavior, to condition for spawning, and to clean up scraps from frozen food feedings. I feel its the best way for me to deal with culls and overpopulation of other fish and get the extra calcium and trace elements into the predator fish prior to and after breeding. Even my colonies of mekong puffer, hairy puffer, orinoco dwarf pike, and regani pike all eat frozen krill with vitachem, insects, cherry shrimp, snails, flake, pellet, and frozen blood or tubifex worms regularly with the live fish being a less frequent offering. 

• Like 1

Angelfish definitely don't need live food. I don't know of anyone that feeds angelfish live fish, as opposed to non-fish live foods. It is difficult to raise enough live fish to feed them all the time. When you run out, buying feeder fish risks bringing disease into the tank. I agree with mountaintoppufferkeeper (or "MTPK") that you should just go back to what he was eating before.

So did you name the 14th neon "Lucky," "Speedy," or "Dessert?"

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, HH Morant said:

Angelfish definitely don't need live food. I don't know of anyone that feeds angelfish live fish, as opposed to non-fish live foods. It is difficult to raise enough live fish to feed them all the time. When you run out, buying feeder fish risks bringing disease into the tank. I agree with mountaintoppufferkeeper (or "MTPK") that you should just go back to what he was eating before.

So did you name the 14th neon "Lucky," "Speedy," or "Dessert?"

I have since ordered and introduced another 14 Neon Tetras into my 29 so he's one of 15 now. I wouldn't recognize him.