In case it helps: I planted my regular Amazon sword in a sturdy plastic drinking cup. (Rubbed with vinegar first to make sure it didn't have soap residue.) Been a couple months, and so far, so good. So I can at least tell you that using some kind of little "pot" should be fine for a while - even though I don't know about terracotta. Stick some root tabs at the bottom of the container though.

• Love 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, CalmedByFish said:

In case it helps: I planted my regular Amazon sword in a sturdy plastic drinking cup. (Rubbed with vinegar first to make sure it didn't have soap residue.) Been a couple months, and so far, so good. So I can at least tell you that using some kind of little "pot" should be fine for a while - even though I don't know about terracotta. Stick some root tabs at the bottom of the container though.

In your case it would likely stunt the growth of the plant until removed. Those can get over 24 inches tall and have massive root systems.... though it doesn't happen overnight.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, anewbie said:

In your case it would likely stunt the growth of the plant until removed. Those can get over 24 inches tall and have massive root systems.... though it doesn't happen overnight.

Yes, thank you for making sure I know. I'll be moving soon, so needed a way to simply pick it up out of the current tank and easily relocate it. It's my hope to have my tanks truly set-up, with plants in substrate, sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:24 PM, Rudles said:

I ordered some mini Amazon Sword plants (Echinodorus parviflorus) for an upcoming build. Can I  in Terracotta pots in my 29 for a couple of months until I build my new 20 gallon tank?

Pretty much any kind of container would work.  Depending on how big your swords are now and how long you expect them to be in the container should help you decide what size container.  There will be at least a little set back with any transplantation, but swords will usually deal with it OK.  Make sure to get some root tabs in the pot and give the plants enough room.

I have gotten tissue culture plants of several kinds and often pop them into small cups/pots until they get big enough to stand up to the fish or snails that are in the tank where I want them, or the tank they’re going into is ready.  Don’t use a tiny pot, but a fairly small one should be OK if they’re really small now, especially for parviflorus.  If they’re already decent sized, go bigger for the pot.  The sooner you can get them to their final spot the better they will do in the long run.

• Love 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, anewbie said:

E. parviflorus is a rather small sword, typically only getting to 6” tall and a proportionate root system.  Still extensive for the size of the plants (it’s still a sword) but not insane like the bigger swords will get.  A couple months in pots should be OK for this species.

• Love 1

On 7/11/2021 at 12:10 AM, Odd Duck said:

E. parviflorus is a rather small sword, typically only getting to 6” tall and a proportionate root system.  Still extensive for the size of the plants (it’s still a sword) but not insane like the bigger swords will get.  A couple months in pots should be OK for this species.

You mis quoted me. I was commenting on the second post in the thread in which a 'regular amazon sword' was being kept in a pot. I know exactly what a E. parviflorus is and did not comment on it being kept in a pot.