Outdoor White Cloud Pond

JoshStover

I just picked up 100 White Clouds from my LFS for dirt cheap. I’m in the New River Gorge area of WV. How cold can these guys handle over winter in a 100gal Rubbermaid stock tank? If needed I can move them into a building but I’d like to be able to overwinter outside if possible. Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

They can overwinter under ice! They are super hardy and versatile. I kept tubs last year in Vermont and when I brought them inside because Maple leaves were filling the tubs, the water was 52F. I’m going to drop some in my cousins’ artificial pond which is deep enough to not freeze to the bottom.

You will really enjoy them!

I documented mine in my Vermont journal linked in my signature.

• Love 1

You may have to heat at some point depending on conditions and setup. Neocaridina can handle those conditions too, if you also want to do shrimp.

Independent of any species stuff, I recommend that all tub-keepers provide some sort of escape tool for small rodents who might come for a drink!

PS: Start a journal for this when you get to your setup phase, or I can move this thread if you want it to be your journal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, Streetwise said:

You may have to heat at some point depending on conditions and setup. Neocaridina can handle those conditions too, if you also want to do shrimp.

Independent of any species stuff, I recommend that all tub-keepers provide some sort of escape tool for small rodents who might come for a drink!

PS: Start a journal for this when you get to your setup phase, or I can move this thread if you want it to be your journal.

We have 4 set up so far and they all have escape ramps. I’ve been considering a shrimp pond and you may have just convinced me to do it!

• Like 3