Hardscape padding?

laritheloud

I got some nice, weathered, larger river rocks for my 55 gallon hardscape (35 pounds of rock). I'm seeing mixed results in a search online on whether I should pad the rocks in the aquarium with egg crate or something else before placing on the bottom and adding the substrate. What do you do for your aquariums? Is there a recommended way of doing this?

I find it interesting because I don't think folks with SW aquariums pad their live rocks, so I'm not sure if there's a standard.

I haven't heard of using egg crate foam but I'm sure you could use Sponges that would come from a filter for padding, if need be.  I've never seen anyone put padding on rocks in videos but TV isn't always reality hehe. Could you do a layer of substrate rocks then build substrate up higher where you want it around the rocks?

• Like 2

At the least, I would put a couple inches of gravel between the rock and glass so that if I didn't set it down as gently as intended, the force could disperse a bit. 

Full disclosure: I've never put a large rock in a tank. I just know my tendency to lose my grip on heavy things.

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone! As I said, heard lots of conflicting things about no substrate beneath rocks so fish won’t dig underneath and shift the hard scape/get hurt, padding rocks, etc. The stone I bought does not have sharp edges so maybe it will be good!

In my big aquarium at least a couple of individual rocks are over 150 lbs each and are sitting directly on the bottom while others are on the sand substrate. The tank has been running this way since 2007 with no issues.

101282887_bigtank.jpg.482a7cb351481184bb4ab4c336974f42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, Daniel said:

In my big aquarium at least a couple of individual rocks are over 150 lbs each and are sitting directly on the bottom while others are on the sand substrate. The tank has been running this way since 2007 with no issues.

101282887_bigtank.jpg.482a7cb351481184bb4ab4c336974f42.jpg

This helps IMMENSELY. My husband was trying to convince me that there was no reason for me to worry about it because it’ll be able to handle so much weight, but it’s good to have other reassurance. Love the tank!

• Like 2