41 members have voted

1. 1. Poll Here

• Pea Puffer
    • Madaka Ricefish
    • Betta
    • Sparkling Gourami
    • Fancy Guppies
    • Endler's Livebearers

Hi all, I have compiled a list of fish that I am considering putting in my 5 gallon aquarium that I'm setting up. I thought it would be interesting to see what fish other forum members think of my choices. Please feel free to poll on the fish that you think would do well in a 5 gallon. Please feel free to comment on any of the fish or to add any good options I left out. 

My betta is In a 5 gal with live plants and he uses the whole tank. Guppies breed so much I wouldn’t place them in a 5G tank unless you do all males. I’ve heard 1 pea puffer can work. They are so cool I haven’t broken down and gotten one yet. Still got my new strains of guppies in qt tubs will be moving the trio to 36 gal tank and and their 15 babies to my 29 g grow out tank. Same mammas will have more babies in 2 wks so. Full house happens quick with guppies. My other strain only 3 males made it thru outta my group might move them to my 10 gal. Hope this helps some. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Colu @ARMYVET @Guppysnail @Georgiapeach88 @Jennifer V @CalmedByFish and thank you @ScottieB for you comments. I agree that some of the fish on this list might be a little cramped in a 5 gallon. That's why I turned to the good people of the forum to help me decide. Honestly, in my search for fish that can live in a 5 gallon. I was surprised by how many websites suggested mollies? I agree that guppies might get to big and are to energetic so thanks to the people that pointed that out. The sparkling gourami I have read conflicting info over online, some people say it needs a 10 gallon a lot of others say a 5 is fine for one. I am really leaning towards the madaka ricefish, betta or the pea puffer, I have heard conflicting info for the rice fish online to but cory actually recommended them in one of his videos about best fish for a 5 gallon so... 

Thanks all of you for participating. 

Edited by Dwayne Brown
  • Like 1

PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER PEA PUFFER

Just a thought🤗

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

I am really leaning towards the madaka ricefish, betta or the pea puffer

Thanks all of you for participating. 

Just a heads-up that the medaka are likely to reproduce, so you'd need a plan in place. 

Glad to help.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 1:14 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Just a heads-up that the medaka are likely to reproduce, so you'd need a plan in place. 

Glad to help.

Yeah that's part of the reason I wanted to get them, I have an outdoor pond and there's some space in my 29 gallon for them. After raising them up I could always sell them to my LFS. I'm looking into getting the Pearl galaxy medakas.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

Yeah that's part of the reason I wanted to get them, I have an outdoor pond and there's some space in my 29 gallon for them. After raising them up I could always sell them to my LFS. I'm looking into getting the Pearl galaxy medakas.

So fun!

• Like 1

I think you have the highest chance of a healthy happy fish with something like a Betta. 5 gallons is pretty small! In my 10 I have a few male endlers, a giant ramshorn snail, and blue dream shrimp. (along with many small 'pest' ramshorn and bladder snails).

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, DaveO said:

If I had a 5 gallon tank I'm thinking of lots of neo shrimps. Plants and moss with some rock hides.

I was thinking about doing shrimp, but i have incredibaly soft water. And when I say incredibly I mean that my tap water tests 0 for hardness. Would shrimp be ok when I do water changes I know I can add crushed coral but would the swing be to much?

I’d vote for a breeding setup for a pair of sparkling or croaking gourami. I had some from when I bought a used tank and I have to say they were awesome. Bettas are great and will work. Medaka could work they do like surface area though but if the eventual goal is to grow them out and then pond them that’s cool. A good intro breeding project is buying eggs and hatching them out. A 5 gallon would be great for that. Have fun! 

• Thanks 1