100 Grit Algae Problem

NanoNano

Fresh water nano tank.  I have a tank with some *dark* green/brown algae on the glass that I've been hoping my Nerites would deal with, but I finally called the game on their efforts today.  I went to tackle the algae this evening and this stuff is *tough*.   I've deployed the scrubby on a stick,  the magnet cleaner,  the credit card, and a enough bad language that I'm going to have to take out a loan to pay the swear jar-all to no avail.  Without me using enough pressure to make me nervous about breaking a seal on the tank, this stuff isn't budging.  Any advice on what this is and critters or treatments that might soften this stuff up so I can remove it?

Well, I generally try to stay away from chemicals or meds when I can, but if you have tried all the safe mechanical methods you have then it's time to move into chemical methods. IMO, hit it with some "AlgaeFix" or similar and then go at it with the credit card after that has softened it up some.

Alternatively, you could try hitting it with some targeted hydrogen peroxide like some do when they have a blue green algae takeover. I've seen it done by using a syringe with air hosing on it so you can REALLY target where it goes. Should chew up the cell walls enough to kill it and make it sluff off easier. I think the AlgaeFix is probably safer, but it's another way you could go if you don't want to use that for whatever reason (shrimp and snails for instance)

Edited by RogueAquarium