Cichlid filtration advise on 60g high

A Moore

I just “inherited” this gorgeous 3 year old cichlid tank this past week.  Everyone transferred well and the tank is settling. While I was putting the hang on back filter back together I noticed a tiny piece of plastic (that holds the intake rod in) was broken. It’s hanging on still but I’m concerned that when I go to clean it it will fall apart. SO, being a huge Aquarium CoOp fan, I ordered two large sponge filters to replace the hob. My question is, would you make this change? Should I go ahead and order another hob so that there are no more big changes for these fish? I currently have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 75. I like the reviews for the Aqua Clear 60-110 hob. 

3C13E7C1-F992-4BA5-AEE8-6F4A468BBC50.jpeg

I would order the 2 sponge filters and let them get seeded while the hob is still running for a few weeks.  Then when it finally breaks just leave it off.  The fish will do much better with the added aeration as well.  Just my honest opinion.

• Like 1

Thank you for the honest opinion! I love sponge filters and I already ordered them before putting this out for opinions. Second guessing it. I just haven’t had experience with a large tank and need advise 😊 thanks again!