Hello from cork Ireland

Hello from cork Ireland re entered hobby recently this is my planted tank which is around 3 months old plants growing ok fish are great but green hair algae a real battle I’ve reduced light added algae eating ottos etc etc now is improving after each water change weekly or sometimes twice but still returns any other advice of course welcome 

106915C7-BCE3-40F4-A2EA-543E3C048916.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Hi! My Otos aren't hair algae eaters but they love most of the other stuff so they're great. When I had it, probably at about the same month mark as you I had to manually remove most of it myself and dial back the lighting, you can do this by either dimming or cutting the duration or both. Myself I just bought a dimmer switch and turned the lights back some until the hair algae rarely came around. THEN I added a duo of Nerite snails. Haven't seen it much since!

• Like 1

I'd be really interested to know if the algae battles were different continent to continent - black beard algae is kicking my butt at the moment in the 20 gallon...

I love your tank @Cork fish keeper!!  Since you're improving with your treatments...don't stop!  You're on the right track!!  Also...out of curiosity...what's your current lighting time period?  And, what type of lighting are you using?

On 7/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, Betsy said:

I'd be really interested to know if the algae battles were different continent to continent - black beard algae is kicking my butt at the moment in the 20 gallon...

I love your tank @Cork fish keeper!!  Since you're improving with your treatments...don't stop!  You're on the right track!!  Also...out of curiosity...what's your current lighting time period?  And, what type of lighting are you using?

I’ve not seen any Blackbeard yet green hair algae seems my only problem I’ve just started using a product algaeexit by easy life and that is having a positive effect and my lighting is on around 8am as I like to see and feed my fish before work then the light in room gets very bright around 1pm so i have lights on a timer which go off around 1pm and come back on in the evening for another 3hrs this is method i read about online and is what I’ve been trying for over a month now thanks for the interest and comments on tank

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 6:56 AM, Cork fish keeper said:

I’ve not seen any Blackbeard yet green hair algae seems my only problem I’ve just started using a product algaeexit by easy life and that is having a positive effect and my lighting is on around 8am as I like to see and feed my fish before work then the light in room gets very bright around 1pm so i have lights on a timer which go off around 1pm and come back on in the evening for another 3hrs this is method i read about online and is what I’ve been trying for over a month now thanks for the interest and comments on tank

But I’ve also used liquid carbon since the beginning and was told that gets rid of black beard so maybe that’s why I’ve not seen it

• Like 1