Any Grumpy? Moody? Shy Fish?

Fish Folk

Does anyone else have some grumpy / moody / shy fish that rarely get much notice?

Here’s an old Apisto that skulks around all day...

E53976A9-432B-4BCA-810D-CC71E241B600.jpeg.2535cb1c06a9619bbc693d939d6a6596.jpeg

And here’s another one who hates to be in public...

427C6EE7-5212-448A-A2EF-D1873F096940.jpeg.fea2ad1f36c01807ed52e2947e3c4e22.jpeg

Here’s a Geophagus Heckelii who hates everyone ever since he lost a fight...

D3E1625B-280E-4FA3-ADDD-4088B006BC8C.jpeg.94163d7755207ea8468a9d0e85c3681d.jpeg

And here’s “junior” who grew facial hair during COVID, and refuses to shave...

1D2C190D-E552-4083-AC20-B04DBACD39F7.jpeg.72fea938e0b4ffbebda47f6879708a33.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

I have 2 female guppies. They are the last females not born in my tank. I can do ANYTHING to their tank they don’t care and stay nosey through it including replacing substrate…except wipe the outside of the glass. They spaz.  They have jumped and hit the glass lid. Got stuck behind the intake. Stuck inside one decoration and they don’t come out for a day and I have to do a water change to get them to settle.  I’ve tried every color towel I can find, a squeegee, wrapping my finger in a paper towel…no go.  So their tank has horrid amounts of hard water marks it looks awful up I don’t want to stress them.  Funny though I can stick my arm in and clean the inside and they peck my fingers while I do it.  I can’t imagine what happened in their little guppy life that caused this fear. 

• Haha 6

I have a few...

My upside down catfish, they sleep all day as catfish do. I do love seeing them swim around, so ammusing to watch.

And then Dobby the Nerite Snail who is in my bettas tank.

image.png.164380245bb909773d429b6a3c38a575.png (they are pretty much just minny pookas)

20210707_215740.jpg.4f7dee5325820b105645bd0db6e23974.jpgLove the guys pattern, just wish I would see him more. When I do see him lights are usually off.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

When I took my Cherry Barbs out of my 11 gallon the Rummy Nose Tetras immediately decided they were in danger and now spend most of the day hiding in the corner. 

Well, somebody did “take out” the rummynoses, so clearly there is danger around.  😆 

My *chicken* is my adult Jack Dempsey male.  10 freaking inches of fish and he hides more than any of my plecos (well, except my clown pleco, but I don’t think it’s fair to count that one).

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have 2 female guppies. They are the last females not born in my tank. I can do ANYTHING to their tank they don’t care and stay nosey through it including replacing substrate…except wipe the outside of the glass. They spaz.  They have jumped and hit the glass lid. Got stuck behind the intake. Stuck inside one decoration and they don’t come out for a day and I have to do a water change to get them to settle.  I’ve tried every color towel I can find, a squeegee, wrapping my finger in a paper towel…no go.  So their tank has horrid amounts of hard water marks it looks awful up I don’t want to stress them.  Funny though I can stick my arm in and clean the inside and they peck my fingers while I do it.  I can’t imagine what happened in their little guppy life that caused this fear. 

Have you tried cleaning the outside at the same time *while* you’re cleaning the inside?  Maybe the distraction of pecking at your arm will keep them from freaking out?  How do they feel about a magnetic algae scraper?  You could spray a paper towel with your glass cleaner and sandwich it under the algae scraper on the outside and do both sides of the glass at once.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:15 PM, Odd Duck said:

Have you tried cleaning the outside at the same time *while* you’re cleaning the inside?  Maybe the distraction of pecking at your arm will keep them from freaking out?  How do they feel about a magnetic algae scraper?  You could spray a paper towel with your glass cleaner and sandwich it under the algae scraper on the outside and do both sides of the glass at once.

I like the mag float idea thanks. Yeah it something with the cloth. I even approach the tank with a cloth in my hand they start flipping

Gertrude my ctenopoma is my moodiest fish (I call her Rude 'Tude Gertrude because of this). She doesn't like my biggest senegal bichir, Dragon, and always bites his butt whenever he's near. She always has this grumpy, sulky attitude about her.

PXL_20210323_163921411.PORTRAIT.jpg.dc92fd12efcbba5cf330b7f303b2962e.jpg

She also might actually be a male, so then HE'D be Rude 'Tude Gertrude the Dude.

Pooka, my featherfin catfish, is very friendly and social towards me; always pressing her whiskers against the glass when she sees me, and excitedly begging for food by swimming upside down in circles (she even lets me hand feed and pet her). However, I have a friend visiting to feed my fish while I'm out of town, and apparently Pooka is being very shy towards her. She comes out of her cave a little to give a wary look, and then goes right back in, refusing to eat until my friend goes away.

A pic of the Pook.

PXL_20210618_012455515.PORTRAIT.jpg.b0249c997fa92383592f20e1f99d5bd4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

My kids named our festivum cichlid spiky feathers and he follows me around the tank when I’m trimming and doing maintenance. Once caught him pulling newly planted crypts I’d just put in kind of “not in my house you don’t!” He’s the tank boss, devourer of any and all ramshorns, and sulks when I feed bbs “really? This is baby food!”F957144B-39E9-48EE-A7A7-9BE4C67D4DA7.jpeg.1b4dc48c0bf5b1b55b613f2f7d8c4af9.jpeg

Edited by Beardedbillygoat1975
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have my first male betta (when I bred bettas I used a friend's male show boi) and I have decided that he might be possessed. 

I did the full qurantine, including parasites when I got him. 

He's not just a fin nipper, he's a solidly committed digger and burier. His first tank was a UG filter, and somehow he got *under* the filter. So new tank build, and he loved it! Especially burying himself in the gravel👀 which would rip up his fins.

So I tried sand... which he not only buried himself in, but also would eat😳 

At this point, asked friend who is a specialty vet for feedback, and the final [unofficial] response was "possibly brain damaged?"

He's about 3 years old now, and I suspect that genetics just weren't ideal. Or, he's too smart for me.

At any rate, he loves to keep me on my toes. He will periodically play hide and seek, and has apparently learned that nipping his own tail will get him a few weeks in the "fish hotel" [qt] where he can hide in his silicone anemones. I tried making his permanent aquarium closer to QT aquarium, in hopes of preventing the fin nipping, and he promptly swam into the bottom hard enough to stun himself. 

He will swim into my hand so I don't have to net him, and has a unique personality. We just try to enjoy every day we have with him and I don't think I will get another betta, lol.

20200820_030159.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

I think my Buenos Aries tetra hate to be looked at. All they do is hide until food hits the water. Then it's like a swarm of piranhas. Then just as quickly as they appeared they are gone again. Now switch gears to my 10 gallon betta tank and it's a whole different story. You can stick your hand in that tank he will immediately come over to investigate. He also eats out of my hand. He has no fear at all.

Edited by Johnny B. Goode
  • Like 2