Amano Shrimp are peaceful??!

I swear I thought I watched and read enough species profiles on shrimp, where I thought I knew enough about them. But I feel like I must have missed the behavior section, because somehow I got the impression that shrimp were delicate and fragile 😄

I never kept shrimp before and just bought three Amano shrimp to help with the algae in my tank--they are doing an awesome job by the way--but these guys have personalities that I just didn't equate with shrimp!

I thought my neon tetras were buttholes, since they spend half their waking hours annoying each other, but these Amanos are no joke. I have only had them for a bit, over a month, and I went from thinking they were dead to seeing them enough to determine these guys are not gonna be ornamental like my snails. My amanos are quite a bit aggressive! I was initially amazed at how they marched right into a feeding frenzy to get food and sometimes would perch on top preventing access. They always seem to be the first to the food too, and not at all skittish about my presence. I even watched one pick up a wafer that you could not have told me he had the ability to lift, and run away with it leaving everyone else foodless 😂 They also do some swim battling between each other which is quite entertaining and are awesome little acrobats that love swinging from my jungle val. These are some bold little guys, and if I would have known this beforehand, I would have gotten them awhile back.

20210531_133043.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

My Amano shrimp are fearless. That are also huge. I think several are 2 inches long. They have no issues hanging out with my hatchets and pencilfish and sterbai cories. They are hiding a bit more now that I have Rams in the tank. 

• Like 1

I think my Amanos....I have six...2 are heavy weight bruisers and another 2 are like stealth ninjas:classic_ninja:. They hide and jump out kick some ass and then disappear.  When they do show up and do their thing...I am pretty sure 1 is using nunchucks like the Bruce Lee of old.  

I know you think Im exagerating but I am going to try and video it.