Good Cold Water Algae Eater

jkt001

On 7/8/2021 at 8:33 PM, sudofish said:

That guy totally looks like Howie Long. As for the algae eaters how do you feel about snails? Nerites would be good I think.

Actually, without my glasses I get Bobby Flay at least once every other month. Yes I know Nerites are an option, will they clean it pretty well?

On 7/8/2021 at 8:37 PM, Streetwise said:

I have removed the heaters from all of my tanks. I keep White Clouds, Neocaridina shrimp, Amano shrimp, Otocinclus, Pygmy Corydoras, Siamese Algae Eaters, Ember Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, a Yo-yo loach, and a Betta.

Really? At what water temps do you keep the otos? I live in Michigan so…

• Like 1

@jkt001, it seems like if my apartment is okay for me, it works for these fish, plus bladder snails, and Ramshorn snails. The air temperature probably varies between 66F and 80F, although I have gotten more aggressive with my AC to try to max out at 78F for my tanks. I’m not trying to keep any hot fish. The tanks with lights obviously get more heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nerites and ramshorns are both respectable algae cleaners. Of course the ramshorns can have a tendency to overpopulate, though avoiding overfeeding can keep them in check somewhat. Bristlenose plecos should be able to do cooler temps as well. Not sure how they compare to snails as to algae cleaning ability.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, Streetwise said:

I have removed the heaters from all of my tanks. I keep ... a Betta.

I've always heard bettas *must* have a temp near 78-80. I want a betta, but don't want the task of close temp regulation. How's your betta doing?

@jkt001I'll be the zillionth vote for ramshorn snails. They're amazing on flat algae (like on glass). Not sure about 3D algae. As for reproducing, I've found that as soon as mine don't have loads of algae to eat, I suddenly have a lot of empty ramshorn snails. (I've even been supplementing with chlorella to try to save the colony.) Because of that, I really doubt you'd end up with too many ramshorns.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:18 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I've always heard bettas *must* have a temp near 78-80. I want a betta, but don't want the task of close temp regulation. How's your betta doing?

@jkt001I'll be the zillionth vote for ramshorn snails. They're amazing on flat algae (like on glass). Not sure about 3D algae. As for reproducing, I've found that as soon as mine don't have loads of algae to eat, I suddenly have a lot of empty ramshorn snails. (I've even been supplementing with chlorella to try to save the colony.) Because of that, I really doubt you'd end up with too many ramshorns.

Just a note on bettas, most retailers just have them in jars on shelves with no heater, so they can survive in cooler conditions. 

• Like 3

I will admit that I am testing Betta temperature. This is my biggest question for the future club event. I was glad to move mine to a community tank, which gets heat from two Nano sponge filters, and a 15” Fluval 3.0. I really won’t have any good feedback until Autumn or Winter.

• Like 1

Nerites are excellent algae eaters, they are however like bulldozers. They don't keep air in their shells like bladder and mystery snails, and are heavy. If you have spindly plants, they tend to fold them over. I swear they like to weave them in to impossible shapes. They are also very sensitive to some meds..

My wife's last betta lived almost 5 years, no heater.

Edited by Griznatch
spelling
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I would think Hillstream loaches would do pretty good in cold water tanks too

I was going to suggest that, but don't know for sure. My unheated tank with Hillstream Loaches in it is in the living room and I haven't seen temps under 70 degrees.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

@KenI think I remember Cory mentioning keeping them in a goldfish tank in a video, and they prefered that over the super hot tanks he also kept them in. But since I've never had experience I was hesitant too. It was however suggested to me by a LFS one time when they found out I didn't use a heater- again though- my tanks never get into the 60s.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1