Pink Flamingo at last!

On 7/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

I hope this is the emersed form. If it’s not then I paid way to much! 

Yes, that looks like the emerse form.  I have some transitioning right now that looked just like this when they arrived.  They’re coming in nicely with more typical crypt form and light pink color since I’m low tech and these are in a fairly deep tank and not a crazy amount of light.

I can’t guarantee yours are Pink Flamingo, but they do at least look like what I got and those are transitioning nicely.

• Like 1

I have not been able to have much luck with pink flamingo. I have purchased form several places including the co-op, tissue culture, emersed and converted to submerged growth. I can get it to convert to the submersed growth pink leaves and then it just slowly dies off. I have one now, going in a high tech tank with co2 and Fluval 3.0 light so I will see how it does in there. Good luck with yours and hopefully it does good for you!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:08 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have not been able to have much luck with pink flamingo. I have purchased form several places including the co-op, tissue culture, emersed and converted to submerged growth. I can get it to convert to the submersed growth pink leaves and then it just slowly dies off. I have one now, going in a high tech tank with co2 and Fluval 3.0 light so I will see how it does in there. Good luck with yours and hopefully it does good for you!

Are you using any root tabs with it?

@ChemBob appears to have summoned me!

Howdy!  I would concur that certainly looks like an emersed wendtii crypt of some form, and very likely pink flamingo.  The fun part, get ready to lose those leaves and hopefully at the same time see new growth show up.  In my experience, it can be a little rough to get that ultra pink color without some CO2 injection, but not impossible.

Flamingo really responds well to strong light, which is somewhat the opposite of most crypts who tend to like less powerful light for longer durations to really kick off and be happy.  I'm not sure what light you're using, but if you can, push the yellow/orange/red spectrums of your light some, that will help quite a bit and make sure you have some root tabs under it to help in the conversion process.

Best of luck!

- a random plant nerd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Bentley Pascoe, thanks! It’s in a 75 gal with that’s soon to have two Nicrew strip lights. Maybe I’ll should reposition it so it’ll be in the high par zone where the lights overlap? I do have a layer of aquasoil under the sand but I’ll pop in some root tabs as well. 

My flamingo looked exactly the same as yours in its emersed state. This is the only picture I can find with its older leaves, hopefully it will put you a little at ease that you might have the right plant.

flamingo.jpg.29d62940564b061e75b2759664dd8a84.jpg

Since I haven't had the plant that long, I don't have any definitive tips that may help you but I can share my experience with it so far.

But just like you did, I cleared a nice space around the flamingo so that there was no chance of it being shaded by other plants. Weird thing is the first 4 leaves came out the typical brown you'd see from a crypt wendtii before the bright pink showed itself. If anything the first few leaves had light hue of pink to around the edges but it didn't really hold for long.flamingo1.jpg.e373c0cffe79a0d926bcb2e2f7f13fd6.jpg

Its nearing 2 months now and I've adjusted my lights to try accentuate the pink more. Now I'm starting to notice by the time the 2nd pink leave comes out, the first leaf starts to turn brown at the edges.

IMG_1721.jpeg.1b31978edc02c21d514959a286d461c2.jpeg

about a week later

flamingo2.jpg.2a02e080d8b5b374e2d62d9fff76817f.jpg

I guess we'll both see in time how it works out but I'm hoping in another few months I can figure out a way for it to hold onto its pink. I really hope it has nothing to do with limiting nitrates.

But good luck on yours!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is what mine looks like in my low-tech/low-light tank - the leaves on yours look just like mine (minus the color!).  My pink flamingo is very brown/pink!

1122793531_Screenshot2021-07-113_45_06PM.png.d9c516556d81779d19ff89ba8848f324.png

Thanks for the help, Pete! 🙄😂

287331258_Screenshot2021-07-113_41_55PM.png.568f84ede2a2ba171d6d883fb7757801.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I picked some flamingo up last week; it was in emersed form but hopefully soon i will catch up to you but probably not; we shall see. To be honest i like that plant more for uniqueness than actual visual impression. I have discovered so many wonderful crypts this past year who knew there were so many; sadly nearly all of them are unavailable from stores and you have to find hobbists with them.

-

• Like 2

Still from the picture the plant seems to be doing pretty darn well; esp for an inert substrate. I also use inert substrates but i know someone who grows them in a tub outside in dirt so he has the advantage of both organic substrate and well the sun for a light and even he struggles at time with this plant. It can be pretty finicky. I had one that i grow from tissue for a year but when i moved the tank from a 20long to 40b it got lost (came uprooted) and was never seen again. I always struggle with this plant and purple aflame (a sword). So i'm pretty impressed with how well your plant is doing.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:01 PM, Patrick_G said:

@anewbie, at this rate it’ll be Christmas before all the submerged leaves grow. 🤨

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...