Aquarium technology prefilters

Seized

Idk how many people know about these prefilters but there amazing. I have one on my 20 gallon community tank. And its perfect for extra bio and mechanical filtration. The best part is is that they make three different sizes and they all fit almost any filters. The medium size one is perfect for 20 gallons IMO but the others would work just fine. If anyone is looking for some extra filtration i highly reccomend these.

2 hours ago, RyanR said:

Why do pre-filters need those elbows?  What can't they just go right on the existing intake?

From the looks it brings the round sponge away from the glass so more of the surface of the sponge is exposed instead of being smashed against the aq wall?

Ok, I can see that, but does the headache of more cleaning and possible malfunction outweigh the little added benefit.  In addition, the two elbows have to add some restriction, so really, does moving it away from the glass accomplish much at twice the price of just a pre-filter?

I'm beginning to wonder if we've been trolled on this post? 😳

• Administrators

I personally don't use the elbows, and that is why our pre filter sponges are different. But some people like having the elbow. I like mine to be flat against the back glass, and about 6 inches from the gravel line, hidden behind plants. 

Those elbows were a true headache, and I could never get them to fit my intakes correctly. Loved the idea. Currently I just have a co op coarse pre filter sponge on my AQ110 and have driftwood impeding the view. The finer sponges that came with my original AT kits had limited life spans but the coarse sponge has been on for over a year. I did have to throw some floss in the HOB to catch the finest particles in the water.