Where can you get plant weights?

BaRanchik

I'm looking for a replacement for lead plant weights. I'm afraid of the effects lead has on the water (and on my health in case I have an open wound on my hand while maintaining the tank), and my pH is slightly below 7 so it's worrying me even more.

I've been looking for the weights in the picture as a replacement. I use some of these which I got with some of the plants at the LFS, although not all the plants come with those, and they don't sell these separately. I've searched every place I know with international shipping, and couldn't find these.

IMG_4845.jpg

On 7/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Guppysnail said:

Amazon also has ceramic plant weights like you were looking at

image.jpg

I have these, but they are really bulky compared to the ones I am talking about. From my experience with these, stems would always float if disturbed a little with these white ones.

@BaRanchik I also worried about this when I took up the hobby again because “back in my day” when I first started fishkeeping, they *were* lead based.  They no longer are, so no worries about that any more.

I have also seen rocks with holes drilled in them.  I found a pic of lava rocks, but I have also seen some made with smooth, river rocks.  Maybe that would better suit your needs.

0B3AD785-413D-4E01-A50C-7FAC16B7B1CE.png

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, JettsPapa said:

@Guppysnailis right.  They don't contain lead, so there are no potential health problems for you or the tank inhabitants.

Really?  The ones I have from ACO look and feel like lead.  any idea what they're made from?  

EDIT: the ACO website says they're lead.  @JettsPapa@Guppysnail where do you get your lead free ones?

Edited by CT_

On 7/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, Joe L. said:

@Guppysnail I know this is a thread for plant weights, but I wanted to quickly jump in and ask how did you manage to cover your Fluval 07 canister filter intake? I have a Fluval 307, and I can’t manage to cover the intake with an ACO large intake sponge and have the suction cup hold the intake tube in place at the same time.

Mine is a 307 i use acoop medium intake and cut the interior the shape of the triangle intake because the large was like OMG nice centerpiece sponge ROFL

actually that one is 107 my other ine is 307 but i did the same thing to both

Edited by Guppysnail
Add

I use bulky glass beads as plant weights. I’m sure you can find some that will ship to you! Here’s the ones I ordered long ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3Q2Q3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just be careful and make sure they don’t come with powder on the inside. Some beads are powdered—I think it has something to do with the production process—and that powder is a PAIN to get out.

• Thanks 2

On 7/9/2021 at 4:41 AM, Hobbit said:

I use bulky glass beads as plant weights. I’m sure you can find some that will ship to you! Here’s the ones I ordered long ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3Q2Q3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just be careful and make sure they don’t come with powder on the inside. Some beads are powdered—I think it has something to do with the production process—and that powder is a PAIN to get out.

Those look promising! Do you just order a bunch and use the clean ones?

I've only used plant weights a few times and have never bought such a thing... but here's what I did when I needed some.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/welding-and-soldering-tools/soldering-accessories/27159

There's a bunch on a roll and it bends easily. I'm sure whatever part of the world you're in has lead free solder. I used the kind with lead though, so far we all lived. Avoid rosin core.

On 7/9/2021 at 7:10 PM, BaRanchik said:

Do you just order a bunch and use the clean ones?

Those particular beads were all clean. 👍 I looked carefully at the product descriptions and the reviews to find ones without powder inside.