Cory, Why Peru?

JeffK

Hi,   I have been following the coop for years and lately listening to Cory talking about the 3rd trip to Peru ,  which raises the question to me,  Is why Peru over any other spot/country on the Amazon ( or it’s tributaries) .   Just very curious….

Edited by JeffK
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:32 PM, JeffK said:

Hi,   I have been following the coop for years and lately listening to Cory talking about. 3rd trip to Peru ,  which raises the question to me.  Is why Peru over any other spot/country on the Amazon ( or it’s tributaries) .   Just very curious….

The key is Project Amazonas. It’s very well run by experienced professionals with many combined decades on these waters. 

On 7/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, JeffK said:

why Peru over any other spot/country on the Amazon

I'm going to guess the baseline reason is this: It is easier to get fish esported from Peru as opposed to other countries in the region.  Brazil is a legal no go zone for collecting currently.  Bolivia can be done, but is quite remote and has less infrastructure.  Ecuador is possible, but is trickier.  And Colombia has only in the past few years gotten out of danger from the FARC guerrilla rebellion, who were heavily entrenched in their Amazon regions.  My point is, I suspect Peru is the best option logistically.  At least this is what I have learned from colleagues who collect fish in that region for their research.  Peru tends to be their target location for these reasons. 

• Thanks 1