Trimming water sprite

On 7/7/2021 at 6:57 PM, Randall from Texas said:

If you cut at the base it will 'bush out'. each time you'll get 2 sprouts from where you cut. Then replant the tops like Patrick said.

Dont be afraid to experiment with it. That stuff is super hardy.

I really like your rams.

How low do you cut it? 

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

• Like 6

On 7/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Isaac M said:

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

Good catch, I was referring to the Wisteria. 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 9:57 PM, Randall from Texas said:

If you cut at the base it will 'bush out'. each time you'll get 2 sprouts from where you cut. Then replant the tops like Patrick said.

Dont be afraid to experiment with it. That stuff is super hardy.

I really like your rams.

Awesome. Thanks! They're cool lil fish

On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Isaac M said:

The one closest to the glass was labeled sprite when I bought it. The leaves seem too wide to be wisteria?

On 7/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi All, @Isaac Mis correct, that is Water Wisteria, aka Hygrophila difformis.  The easy way to tell is Watersprite (Ceratopteris) all of the leaves grow from a crown (central point).  For Wisteria the leaves grow out of a vertical stem or stalk.  -Roy

The wisteria is in the background, sprite is the one up front. Did the store mislabel them? I'd be surprised as it is a well known spot but maybe the person picked the wrong one

On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Isaac M said:

Yes i agree it definitely looks like wisteria. I keep it and sprite in all my tanks. Im hard on plants and if any portion breaks i float it in my baby snail tank and it always grows so you cant go wrong I’ve even had stray leaves sprout roots???…. Their trimming suggestions are spot on. 😁

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, Fresh said:

The wisteria is in the background, sprite is the one up front. Did the store mislabel them? I'd be surprised as it is a well known spot but maybe the person picked the wrong one

When grown submerged wisteria grows leaves that closely resemble sprite. My lfs confuses them all the time. The wisteria grown emerged has flat leaves but once submerged it will feather

• Like 1

Well ain't that a female dog. They definitely look/grow different as well so now I'm even more confused lol. So what you're all saying is I have 3 wisteria's with 1 looking different because it was originally grown underwater? Here's another angle 

IMG_0841.jpg

On 7/8/2021 at 8:40 AM, Fresh said:

Well ain't that a female dog. They definitely look/grow different as well so now I'm even more confused lol. So what you're all saying is I have 3 wisteria's with 1 looking different because it was originally grown underwater? Here's another angle 

IMG_0841.jpg

Front wisteria back sprite…wisteria grows tons of roots everywhere my sprite only grows extra roots of broken off 😁

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

Front wisteria back sprite…wisteria grows tons of roots everywhere my sprite only grows extra roots of broken off 😁

Damn so I have 2 sprite's and 1 wisteria instead of vise versa which also means I've been adding root tabs to the wrong one lol. Kinda funny

I just did a Google search on both and I can't believe I never confirmed this earlier. It's been about 5 weeks 

Edited by Fresh
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 6:49 AM, Randall from Texas said:

I cut mine at the substrate. Then when those 2 grow up I cut them again right above the fork, so I end up with 4 stems coming from 1 stalk. I like really bushy plants.

Thanks, I have no trouble growing wisteria but sprite is giving me headaches. 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Patrick_G said:

Thanks, I have no trouble growing wisteria but sprite is giving me headaches. 

I bought some sprite a few months ago and planted it in several tanks.  For me it hasn't done much planted, but in one tank some of it must have broken off, because suddenly I had several rosettes of it floating at the top of the tank and doing fine.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Randall from Texas said:

What light and what's your nitrate level?

Hygger full spectrum. I've yet to buy a test kit so I'm unsure and I forgot what the last reading was

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

I bought some sprite a few months ago and planted it in several tanks.  For me it hasn't done much planted, but in one tank some of it must have broken off, because suddenly I had several rosettes of it floating at the top of the tank and doing fine.

Same here, I let the rosettes grow out a bit and then planted them. They’re looking ok, but they’re not doing as well as when they were floating. 

• Like 1