Jump to content

Trimming water sprite


Recommended Posts

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Isaac M said:

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

Good catch, I was referring to the Wisteria. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Isaac M said:

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

The one closest to the glass was labeled sprite when I bought it. The leaves seem too wide to be wisteria?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi All, @Isaac Mis correct, that is Water Wisteria, aka Hygrophila difformis.  The easy way to tell is Watersprite (Ceratopteris) all of the leaves grow from a crown (central point).  For Wisteria the leaves grow out of a vertical stem or stalk.  -Roy

 

The wisteria is in the background, sprite is the one up front. Did the store mislabel them? I'd be surprised as it is a well known spot but maybe the person picked the wrong one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Isaac M said:

@Fresh I believe the plant that is bending is water wisteria, not water sprite but it looks similar. Trimming water sprite vs trimming water wisteria does differ a bit because of how it grows. 

I would trim the wisteria the way @Patrick_G said. Given that it also grows roots at the nodes, I would often cut it below the root so I can plant the root into the substrate as well to help keep it from uprooting. 

Yes i agree it definitely looks like wisteria. I keep it and sprite in all my tanks. Im hard on plants and if any portion breaks i float it in my baby snail tank and it always grows so you cant go wrong I’ve even had stray leaves sprout roots???…. Their trimming suggestions are spot on. 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, Fresh said:

The wisteria is in the background, sprite is the one up front. Did the store mislabel them? I'd be surprised as it is a well known spot but maybe the person picked the wrong one

When grown submerged wisteria grows leaves that closely resemble sprite. My lfs confuses them all the time. The wisteria grown emerged has flat leaves but once submerged it will feather

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 8:40 AM, Fresh said:

Well ain't that a female dog. They definitely look/grow different as well so now I'm even more confused lol. So what you're all saying is I have 3 wisteria's with 1 looking different because it was originally grown underwater? Here's another angle 

 

 

 

IMG_0841.jpg

Front wisteria back sprite…wisteria grows tons of roots everywhere my sprite only grows extra roots of broken off 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

Front wisteria back sprite…wisteria grows tons of roots everywhere my sprite only grows extra roots of broken off 😁

Damn so I have 2 sprite's and 1 wisteria instead of vise versa which also means I've been adding root tabs to the wrong one lol. Kinda funny

I just did a Google search on both and I can't believe I never confirmed this earlier. It's been about 5 weeks 

Edited by Fresh
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Patrick_G said:

Thanks, I have no trouble growing wisteria but sprite is giving me headaches. 

I bought some sprite a few months ago and planted it in several tanks.  For me it hasn't done much planted, but in one tank some of it must have broken off, because suddenly I had several rosettes of it floating at the top of the tank and doing fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

I bought some sprite a few months ago and planted it in several tanks.  For me it hasn't done much planted, but in one tank some of it must have broken off, because suddenly I had several rosettes of it floating at the top of the tank and doing fine.

Same here, I let the rosettes grow out a bit and then planted them. They’re looking ok, but they’re not doing as well as when they were floating. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...