Are these Nerite snails or baby ramsorn? I know that I had ramshorn hitch hikers but wondering if I had another one sneak in. Also seeing some little white dots on glass that I can not tell if they are eggs or tiny snails. Also my Ramshorns like to "wrestle".

20210707_203246.jpg

20210707_203242.jpg

20210707_203722.jpg

20210707_203727.jpg

They are bladder snails. I keep them on purpose. If you overfeed they will overpopulate but in limited numbers are highly beneficial. Ramshorns are mating not wrestling. Tiny dots are mist likely baby bladder. Might be ramshorn. Nerite will lay eggs but the larva can only survive in brackish water. 

• Like 1

@ErinV This is what I refer to for ID on pond vs bladder snails.  These look like bladder snails to me.  Skinnier antennae, opening of the shell to the left, and shell isn’t as long.

Ramshorn are having “snexy” time.  You should have baby ramshorn before you know it.

E500480C-A573-44BF-8F6B-187E9D07459D.png

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 9:09 PM, ARMYVET said:

Seriously though…I did not know that they were that big of a bio issue. Please explain further

Oh my yes. I keep a bare bottom tub for extra bladders for my lfs…. You would think i had a few pleco in there. I have a bare bottom tank to raise mystery babies as well and it gets horrible as they get larger like a few dizen plecos worth of poo. 

F3A3D48E-6202-41E1-ACFA-B81014414FA4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, ErinV said:

Thank you @Donna, @Guppysnail, @ARMYVET, @GameCzar, and @Odd Duck for all your help. I am not worried about bio load. I have a Fluval 304 on the 90g that they are in. Waiting for it to fully cycle and the fry I found in it to grow before adding fish. Snails 🐌 are the kings of the castle for now.

Any suggestions of foods other than tank clean up?

I always use bladder snails when starting a tank. They sre swesome for creating a super stable system. Waste water treatment plants get infestations of them they are super tough. 😁 if you have a magnifying glass look at them eat they are ADORABLE 🥰 

• Like 2