Angelfish shape

Phishbox

I finally convinced my spouse to let me re-enter the hobby after a 2 year hiatus from a devastating  tank explosion in our old apartment complex. I’m currently in the process of readying a 75g planted tank for angelfish in our new home. I haven’t really decided but I’ve narrowed it to plain silvers, zebra silvers or I’m also intrigued by these new rio nanay angels with the yellow speckles. Anyways, This isn’t my first time with angelfish(maybe long term it will be) nor fish in general. But right now I’m really attracted to the vertical anal and dorsal fin look. There’s just something about that look. Anyways my thing is, I’ve seen other people’s angels and when fully grown they seem to have lost that vertical look and the fins seam to naturally fold back. Is there any way I can prevent this and grow them to there max potential with as vertical of a shape as possible??? Or is it maybe a genetic thing that’s a game of luck? Some people have recommended altums to me since they seem to look more vertical and as much as I’d love that, I’m just not that rich right now and I don’t feel comfortable starting with something as expensive as those in a tank that’s not as seasoned as I’d like. I haven’t purchased anything yet, I’m just letting the tank and plants grow out for now while I do research.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, Phishbox said:

I finally convinced my spouse to let me re-enter the hobby after a 2 year hiatus from a devastating  tank explosion in our old apartment complex. I’m currently in the process of readying a 75g planted tank for angelfish in our new home. I haven’t really decided but I’ve narrowed it to plain silvers, zebra silvers or I’m also intrigued by these new rio nanay angels with the yellow speckles. Anyways, This isn’t my first time with angelfish(maybe long term it will be) nor fish in general. But right now I’m really attracted to the vertical anal and dorsal fin look. There’s just something about that look. Anyways my thing is, I’ve seen other people’s angels and when fully grown they seem to have lost that vertical look and the fins seam to naturally fold back. Is there any way I can prevent this and grow them to there max potential with as vertical of a shape as possible??? Or is it maybe a genetic thing that’s a game of luck? Some people have recommended altums to me since they seem to look more vertical and as much as I’d love that, I’m just not that rich right now and I don’t feel comfortable starting with something as expensive as those in a tank that’s not as seasoned as I’d like. I haven’t purchased anything yet, I’m just letting the tank and plants grow out for now while I do research.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Doubtless there’s some genetics at root with some overall fish health / weakness.

But I suspect that the reason many angel fins collapse is due to not being kept in a large enough tank, a “frisky” enough shoal, and not being fed a broad spectrum of healthy foods.  

• Like 2

I think it is mainly genetics. As angelfish mature their bodies get bigger relative to their fins. Their fins are also more erect and impressive when they are mad. I am sure that diet, health, and aquarium size play a part, as Fish Folk pointed out.

• Like 1