Plants for an ambient light tank

Patrick_G

My wife suggested we take all our moss balls (about 15) and make a small tank for our coffee table. We’ll use either a three gallon cube or a 1.5 gal cylinder. It’ll be just plants and snails and have no electric light or filter. What else can we add?  I’m thinking floaters, and maybe a red tiger lotus. Ideas? 

Here is the table

AFAA05AC-ADF8-4A05-AC0B-F9F85C97826F.jpeg

• Like 4

Crypts, anubias, hornwort, anachris… for floating plants i really like amazon frogbit, easy growing little mini lilly pads, or duckweed (but i know how some people HATE duckweed lmao) these should do well in ambient lighting! And with the nano tank, i would add some nice red neo shrimp (or whatever color you choose). I feel like those would be a great conversation starter for the already excellent common area you’ve got going there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’m sure you could do some crypts and then you might get some contrasting color and textures. 

Good idea. I’ve just started with Crypts. I’ll transfer one when I’m sure they’re converted. 

• Like 1

I think some emersed plants like a peace lily or Horsetail reeds could look really nice. You could also play with the idea of having some driftwood that comes out of the vase with some air plants on the branches out of the water.

This reminds me of when I kept moss balls in a bubbling tower and just watched them roll around in the water column. 

• Like 2