Recommendations for black or darker blue freshwater fish

erik.hueno

I have some room for 1 more species in my community freshwater tank and don’t want to rush to a decision. I’m curious if anyone has some unique recommendations for fish that are darker in color (I have mostly white or lighter colored fish, so I’m looking for a little variety).

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, erik.hueno said:

I have some room for 1 more species in my community freshwater tank and don’t want to rush to a decision. I’m curious if anyone has some unique recommendations for fish that are darker in color (I have mostly white or lighter colored fish, so I’m looking for a little variety).

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

I love my Black Mollies. They're full of energy, and bring a friendly contrast of color. You can see some of them in this sera o-nip video...

Black Phantom tetras, they are a darker black with a blotch of blue. You could also try a blue betta, red betta. Or perhaps some marbled hachetfish would like nice. If you have never tried cichlids before they might be a cool option. Just be careful with which species you pick.  For a quick breakdown, most highly aggressive and need special care. However some aren't aggressive and don't need special care. I would recommend you stay clear of German blue rams. But if your interested check out apistogramma and Bolivian ram cichlids. The apisto's are a little more sensitive to water quality then most fish I had 2 apisto borelli and they didn't do to well. However I suspect they had some internal parasites from the store. right now I Have one Bolivian ram and he is wonderful. They love to come out and see anything that walks over to the tank. They arent aggresive and they are relatively hardy.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dwayne Brown
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, Drew Schmidt said:

Whats in your tank currently? That way we can give you a little more directed advice. For instance i would say dark knight or black rams  but they will need higher heat and the other community fish may not appreciate the heat as much.

I currently have a male/female pair of Bolivian Rams, 3 male guppies, 6 julii corydoras, and male dwarf gourami.