Aquariums wanted

Jason S.

Hello all,

I am looking for a good reputable Aquarium company preferably near me to stock my new Fish room. I am looking for multilabel Glass Aquariums that are Not Tempered. I will also consider Acrylic Aquariums if Non tempered is not available. My location in Idaho is very remote however I would be willing to Drive a reasonable distance if shipping is an issue . Would like to have these aquariums as quickly as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated. Jason

*estimate sizes*

L44xW24x18H? Height is workable  and 20L's

Edited by Mr.Idaho
correction
  • Like 1

Couple things... are tanks from Petco Ok? I _think_ only the _bottom_ glass is tempered on most standard 55 gal and 20 long (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Here’s a map of Idaho with Petco stores marked. Which are within driving range of you?

0F652427-71B8-49D3-8377-12A7B098A036.jpeg.3f62f36fd8f3cbd9dfa1e82266916a87.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you Fish Folk for your Reply. I do have a Petco near me in Lewiston.. However most of their product Aquariums are made by Aqueon. Now I am not saying Aqueon  Are not good Aquariums  however I have had Issue's with them regarding Tempered Glass or not. *see link below* 

Aqueon Glass Aquariums Tempered vs. Non Tempered: Due to glass availability, Central Aquatics may temporarily substitute regular or non-tempered glass panels with tempered glass panels. Anytime a glass substitution is made, a sticker will be adhered to the aquarium bottom as a precaution to the end user.

I have talked to several Aquarist on various other forums regarding which Aqueon Aquarium is Tempered? Several times many received mixed responses from the Company leaving many scratching their heads in confusion "including myself". The Adhered sticker can sometimes not be true. I have already busted several tanks and wish not to continue down this rabbit hole. I want to be able to Drill all my Aquariums. Jason 

• Like 1

Dwayne, No Spokane is not a far drive for me. I just want to make sure if I do in fact drive anywhere They will have the Quantity in stock that I require first. Spokane in roughly 4hr ish drive for me. Jason 

I believe it can be possible to tell if glass is tempered by looking at it with polarized sunglasses. I've never tried this myself however.

You're from my neck of the woods. I was at Petco in Lewiston a couple of weeks ago and they had a lot of tanks in stock. Petco in Moscow usually has more 75g tanks than Lewiston. The sale is going on now too so might be worth a look.

It may be hard to find anywhere but Petco to find a decent quantity of tanks. Those tank sales they do have priced everyone out of the market it seems, and there aren't that many tanks for sale at a lot of fish stores I visit.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, Mike_M said:

It may be hard to find anywhere but Petco to find a decent quantity of tanks. Those tank sales they do have priced everyone out of the market it seems, and there aren't that many tanks for sale at a lot of fish stores I visit.

I have to agree with @Mike_M.  I've been calling around town to track down a tank about that size (because apparently I need another project?!).  The common answer is that the big box pet stores and their sales have meant that the locals can't compete on price.  And because they carry the same brands, people just don't buy the tanks from the locals anymore.  The LFS tend to have specialty tanks like rimless or odd shapes, etc.  But not the standard sizes.  That said, I am not located anywhere near you, so there is a chance it's different in other areas.  I've just called a load of places near me and gotten told the same story around here, repeatedly.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Have you given any thought to making your own tanks? Plywood tanks are relatively easy to make and lumber prices seem to be coming back down to earth a bit. If you're handy you could probably make a combination rack and plywood tank setup with glass fronts relatively affordably. There's no risk in drilling plywood. It doesn't shatter. A local glass provider can provide the glass or acrylic you need for the tank front. It's another option you might want to consider. There are lots of YouTube videos out there on making a plywood tank. It might be ideal for a fish room. You'll need a rack anyway, so building a combo rack/plywood tank to whatever size you need might be the best overall option. You could even make the tank one long trough like tank and insert dividers to section it off as need be. 

Thankyou All for the help and suggestions.  Greatly Appreciated.

@gardenman Yes I have actually done this type of construction/Aquarium 3 times with very great success. I constructed 3- 135's  the tanks are totally bullet proof, they are awesome. * these were built way before the current lumber ripoff took root*