Hello from Virginia, USA

Hello everyone, yet another relapsed aquarium hobbiest here. Cory is probably the one that convinced me to get back into it, so thanks to him I think?!

To be honest, what drove me away from the hobby was this right here:

DSC_0637.jpg.99ca8543225557d44f12172defaa6ad9.jpg

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is a pressure-regulated 5-lb bottle of liquid CO2 and associated raw fertilizers (there was no EZ Green back then). At the time, high tech tanks were all the rage. Takashi Amano had shown everyone what was possible, and we all wanted to be the next ADA aquascaper.

Don't get me wrong, a "high-tech" tank can be a thing of beauty at times, and entertaining.

My first tank, a 30 gallon.
This was the "plant a bunch of stuff and see what happens" tank. Turns out everything grew, and grew very quickly!

DSC_0373-edit.jpg.ef619d831307e60d28f25661c9c6490f.jpg

Second tank, a 40 gallon "breeder".
This was the "I don't want two tanks full of insanely fast-growing stem plants" tank.

181344878_oct2010fulltank.jpg.ce7147ed0b413f4529108bc7107af489.jpg

Unfortunately, when things go badly with a high-tech tank, they go badly fast. The slightest imbalance can result in algae explosions. The tanks require constant trimming and maintenance to the point where it feels like a job instead of a hobby. I got rid of my aquariums when we moved and just did not have the heart to start up again at the new house for many years.

And then along came Cory and Aquarium Co-op and their addictive YouTube videos...

This time I am focusing on keeping the maintenance as low as possible, and the headaches as well. No more pressurized CO2, no more high lights, etc. This time I want to focus on the ecosystem and the fish. I do not have tank pictures yet, but soon I hope to have some nice ones! Without all that CO2 injection it's going to be slow and steady this time around.

A couple of my favorites fishies from past and present below.

Apistogramma agassizi male

DSC_0146.JPG.963b1ccd97c2b41ffba31b2016e23422.JPG

Pearl Gourami male

1010518924_oct2010male.jpg.14ff5fe21c35d82c03b33b9a3d346afa.jpg

Neolamprologus multifasciatus female

DSC01922.JPG.f629fa78eae5e11079097c197a3bf542.JPG

Edited by Ozymandias
grammar
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Welcome back!

I used to do things in a way that was harder than necessary. It was a lot more of a chore than a joy. Now I aim for, "If it's not easy, it's not fun." It really is working better. I'm guessing your focus on the ecosystem and fish is going to be good for you. 🙂 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Welcome back!

I used to do things in a way that was harder than necessary. It was a lot more of a chore than a joy. Now I aim for, "If it's not easy, it's not fun." It really is working better. I'm guessing your focus on the ecosystem and fish is going to be good for you. 🙂 

Yes! I am aiming for "if it's not easy, it's not fun" as well.

Actually, I am setting up my first ever unheated tank. The temperature is quite low on our bottom floor in winter, probably 65 F (18 C) or less. I am going with white cloud minnows to start with.

Edited by Ozymandias
a word

On 7/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, Ozymandias said:

I am setting up my first ever unheated tank. The temperature is quite low on our bottom floor in winter, probably 65 F (18 C) or less. I am going with white cloud minnows to start with.

Sounds like a good idea. I have one particular fish that needs the upper 70's, but I keep the heater completely unplugged if the room is at least 74. Potential heater malfunctions add stress. From now on, I'll likely only add species that can tolerate a wide range. (Though I'm about ready to throw up my hands and get anything that eats hair algae. Piranha. Blue whale. Kraken...)

• Haha 1

@CalmedByFish I know that feeling with the algae.  Founding member of Overfeeders Anonymous right here.  I’ve had to relearn how much fish, shrimp, and snails actually *need* to eat.

@Ozymandias  I also stepped away from fishkeeping.  Around 10 years off for me.  I loaded myself up too much with reef tanks, Betta grow out tanks, paludariums, and too many hours working.  Just got back into fish again a little over a year ago and I’m already back to 20 tanks.  🤷🏻‍♀️  But they’re lower maintenance tanks and no salt!

Welcome back to the hobby and I’m glad to help any way I can.  I’ve given myself a very intensive refresher on low maintenance planted tanks over the last year and have been exploring the incredible variety of plants that are now available.  There are loads of very experienced and helpful people on this forum and this is by far the kindest, most helpful and intelligent forum I’ve found.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 8:17 PM, Odd Duck said:

@CalmedByFish I know that feeling with the algae.  Founding member of Overfeeders Anonymous right here.  I’ve had to relearn how much fish, shrimp, and snails actually *need* to eat.

@Ozymandias  I also stepped away from fishkeeping.  Around 10 years off for me.  I loaded myself up too much with reef tanks, Betta grow out tanks, paludariums, and too many hours working.  Just got back into fish again a little over a year ago and I’m already back to 20 tanks.  🤷🏻‍♀️  But they’re lower maintenance tanks and no salt!

Welcome back to the hobby and I’m glad to help any way I can.  I’ve given myself a very intensive refresher on low maintenance planted tanks over the last year and have been exploring the incredible variety of plants that are now available.  There are loads of very experienced and helpful people on this forum and this is by far the kindest, most helpful and intelligent forum I’ve found.

Oh my, 20 tanks! At this point in my life, if I got even half that many I would also need to get divorce papers. 🤣

On 7/8/2021 at 12:52 PM, Odd Duck said:

@Ozymandias My hubby has more expensive hobbies, so as long as I keep up with the tanks, he’s OK with it.  I have no more room for tanks, so I think I’m at my limit.  😆 

I seem to be the one with the hobbies in my house. I just need to get rid of that pesky day job so I can focus on the stuff that really matters, like more fish tanks!

• Haha 1