Too much guppies

Taco Playz

So I am trying to seperate male baby guppies from female baby guppies . I have a 10 gallon set up with 8 males in it and I have a Fry/Female tank with about ten females in it. I also have one male accidentaly in that tank. I also have another ten gallon for babies which also has one male in it. I really want to sell the males to my lfs because they are really pretty but they won't give me anything for them and I don't think it is worth the hassle. I know eventually I will have to but how many males would you say would make my ten gallon over stocked. I wanted to keep it a eight males in that tank but I don't want the males in my other tanks to interbreed with the females. What should I do. Thanks

On 7/7/2021 at 9:53 AM, Taco Playz said:

Ok i do them every other week but I would be fine with doing them every week if needed.

The key thing is to test the water. You need to at least know ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. For each tank, write down the readings, with the date, and keep track of it. 

I did something similar to what you're doing for years. In hindsight, I should've bought a predator fish, and given it about half the new fry from every drop. If you find that the water quality of your tanks is hard to keep in great shape, that's worth considering. Poor quality can be miserable for the fish.

I also have a good fry filter meant for a 20 gallon in my fry tank so the water parameters are pretty good. I don't test that much but I should do it more often. The tank that I might be putting them in has been set up for almost two years so it's really stable

Some people have hangups about feeding them to other fish. I personally don’t but don’t fall for anyone who doesn’t feel the same. When I get my fish room going I might have a fish room mascot to eat healthy culls

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, Taco Playz said:

I also have a good fry filter meant for a 20 gallon in my fry tank so the water parameters are pretty good. I don't test that much but I should do it more often. The tank that I might be putting them in has been set up for almost two years so it's really stable

No matter if you have a 200 gallon filter it won’t keep your nitrates down and that is massively important for healthy happy guppies. I have quite a few guppy tanks fry/maternity/ sorority/fraternity test test test i vacuum loose powder food off the substrate every night in my fry tank to keep it from fowling the water I usually have 30-40 fry at a time in there. 

• Thanks 1