Camallanus worms?

Chlo

One of my platys has a very thin needle like red stick coming out of her anus, and after researching it seems like it could be camallanus worms. I noticed the possible worm a few weeks ago, but it was brown and I could barely see it so I didn't really worry. She and another platy flashed a little bit a week or two ago but they haven't done it anymore. I've also seen one cory flash a few times today, but I don't know if that's related. Does this sound like camallanus worms and what treatment should I use? I'm really worried because it seems like the worms are hard to get rid of

Also I dont have a picture because the worm is very thin and hard to get a photo of

• pH 8
  • Nitrates 10-20
  • Hardness 17 GH
  • Nitrite 0 
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 6 KH
  • Water Temperature 76 F
  • Sad 1

On 7/7/2021 at 1:01 AM, Chlo said:

One of my platys has a very thin needle like red stick coming out of her anus, and after researching it seems like it could be camallanus worms. I noticed the possible worm a few weeks ago, but it was brown and I could barely see it so I didn't really worry. She and another platy flashed a little bit a week or two ago but they haven't done it anymore. I've also seen one cory flash a few times today, but I don't know if that's related. Does this sound like camallanus worms and what treatment should I use? I'm really worried because it seems like the worms are hard to get rid of

Also I dont have a picture because the worm is very thin and hard to get a photo of

• pH 8
  • Nitrates 10-20
  • Hardness 17 GH
  • Nitrite 0 
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 6 KH
  • Water Temperature 76 F

If your fish looks like this...

116681765_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_36_57AM.png.ab635d6536599728cd7b2044d42ab76f.png

It may eventually look like this...

1186681433_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_37_31AM.png.d786acb0522195844d6fab3d30f5ab5b.png

And it can kill all your fish. You need to treat tis very seriously.

I recommend Levamisole. Greg Sage over at Select Aquatics sells Levamisole for treating this very issue. Here's his add on his website:

1064961087_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_38_40AM.png.8bfa3921875b47de88b30ff3cfa47e44.png

Get it ordered! Hope this story ends well . . . 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 3:42 AM, Fish Folk said:

If your fish looks like this...

116681765_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_36_57AM.png.ab635d6536599728cd7b2044d42ab76f.png

It may eventually look like this...

1186681433_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_37_31AM.png.d786acb0522195844d6fab3d30f5ab5b.png

And it can kill all your fish. You need to treat tis very seriously.

I recommend Levamisole. Greg Sage over at Select Aquatics sells Levamisole for treating this very issue. Here's his add on his website:

1064961087_ScreenShot2021-07-07at6_38_40AM.png.8bfa3921875b47de88b30ff3cfa47e44.png

Get it ordered! Hope this story ends well . . . 

Yeah she definitely looks like the first picture....😬  I'll buy some levamisole as soon as possible

Also do I have to treat with levamisole a few weeks after the first treatment? Because I will be going away from home in less than two weeks

Edited by Chlo

On 7/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, Fish Folk said:

Read this over from Greg Sage, and this as well. 

I'm looking those over right now and I'm confused, does the kit only come with the measuring spoon if you get 52g of the powder? (sorry I know this is a silly question)

Nevermind I'll just get the powder not the kit

Edited by Chlo
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, Chlo said:

I'm looking those over right now and I'm confused, does the kit only come with the measuring spoon if you get 52g of the powder? (sorry I know this is a silly question)

Nevermind I'll just get the powder not the kit

E-mail Greg Sage. His replies are very special. Lots of care and detail.

So I also have some platy fry in a breeder box in the tank, do I need to remove them during treatment? Are they affected too?

Also, all 5 of my platies are female, and they all recently had a batch of fry each... So it's possible they may have more, and does that mean the fry will be infected and when the platies eat the fry they will get infected again?

Edited by Chlo

I would treat all.your fish in the main tank with levamisole it's more than likely more of your fish will.have camallanus worms by the  time you see visible worms your fish will be heavily infected.and can still die from the internal damage the parasite have caused

Edited by Colu
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:39 AM, Colu said:

I would treat all.your fish in the main tank with levamisole it's more than likely more of your fish will.have camallanus worms by the  time you see visible worms your fish will be heavily infected.and can still die from the internal damage the parasite have caused

Ok, and also if any of them have more babies later, will they be infected too? Also do I need to treat my betta tanks too? Because I definitely shared tools and stuff between the tanks. They both look fine and healthy but apparently camallanus worms are extremely contagious? 

Sooo I started levamisole treatment today, and one worm is already coming out of the platy, but none of the other platies have worms coming out (yet). Could this mean that the worms haven't spread to the other fish yet? Also, I moved the platy to a breeder box with a separator at the bottom for when the worm falls through, because knowing my platies they would all try to eat the worm.