Common pleco terrorizing newly planted tank

Phoenix1391

I just set up a 125 gallon for my bala sharks and common pleco. I heavily planted it, and as common plecos do; he is ripping all the plants out. The main plants I’m having troubles with are the dwarf sag and rotala is constantly being pulled out. He is about a foot long (edit: after measuring he is 9”) and the 75 gallon he came from is currently decommissioned as it is being re scaped. Would he be ok for a few months in my 30 gallon until the root structures of the rotala and sag is mature and enough to not be pulled up by him sucking on them. The 30 gallon is 30” Long x 12” wide.

F0AC3B5E-399F-4F03-A208-19A168037F41.jpeg

00FE297A-68E5-41B4-8455-2F9E76F4ED8F.jpeg

Edited by Adam scharberg

On 7/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Adam scharberg said:

I just set up a 125 gallon for my bala sharks and common pleco. I heavily planted it, and as common plecos do; he is ripping all the plants out. The main plants I’m having troubles with are the dwarf sag and rotala is constantly being pulled out. He is about a foot long and the 75 gallon he came from is currently decommissioned as it is being re scaped. Would he be ok for a few months in my 30 gallon until the root structures of the rotala and sag is mature and enough to not be pulled up by him sucking on them. The 30 gallon is 30” Long x 12” wide.

F0AC3B5E-399F-4F03-A208-19A168037F41.jpeg

00FE297A-68E5-41B4-8455-2F9E76F4ED8F.jpeg

My experience is he will never stop. Common plecos just aren’t made to do well is planted tanks. Even some bristlenose can get quite destructive 

On 7/6/2021 at 8:10 PM, Jimmy said:

My experience is he will never stop. Common plecos just aren’t made to do well is planted tanks. Even some bristlenose can get quite destructive 

I know he’s not going to stop, but once the root structures of the sag and rotala are large enough it won’t pull out from him. He was in my 75 for 3 years and the only plants that pull out were newly planted things . Anything with barely any roots I don’t plant because I have really hard water too.

On 7/6/2021 at 6:16 PM, Adam scharberg said:

I know he’s not going to stop, but once the root structures of the sag and rotala are large enough it won’t pull out from him. He was in my 75 for 3 years and the only plants that pull out were newly planted things . Anything with barely any roots I don’t plant because I have really hard water too.

I get that. I feel like give it enough time that little buddy will renovate the whole tank. 

You may hear a few extra bumps in the night until it adjusts to the new dimensions, but your pleco will be fine in the 30 gallon for a few months.   My first pleco spent at least half of it's 10+ years in a 30. 

I would not put him in the 30. Get ceramic plant weight rings attach plants with roots out the bottom if it bothers you to leave them when they are rooted slide them up and off. Use 2 if needed but they will be heavy enough he cant pukl them up from location 

image.jpg

Edited by Guppysnail
Pictures