Don't Miss the Live Presentation on Breeding Bettas with Gianne Souza

Zenzo

• Administrators
On 7/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, Daniel said:
  • What do you use to encourage bubble nest building, i.e. bottoms from Styrofoam cups?
  • What do feed newly hatched betta fry?
  • What sort of water change system do you use?
  • Any concerns about cool air passing over the surface of the aquarium during labyrinth organ development
  • At what age do you separate males?
  • How many males do you keep at any one time?
  • What do you consider the best floating plants for a betta aquarium
  • Where can true IBC show quality bettas be purchased?
  • What would your dream betta look like?
  • What is your favorite betta you have every owned?
  • How old is too old for a female betta to breed?
  • How do you select the bettas you will raise and what do you do with the others?
  • Are there any exciting developments in new betta strains?
  • What is the most expensive betta you have purchased?
  • Who do you look up to and follow with regards to bettas?
  • How much time commitment per week is required from you to maintain your operation?
  • How are you able to schedule a vacation?

@Daniel Can you give me your top 3-5 questions? 😄

On 7/16/2021 at 1:01 PM, Zenzo said:

@Daniel Can you give me your top 3-5 questions? 😄

Top 5 Practical questions, that is my real top 5

• What do you feed newly hatched betta fry?
  • What sort of water change system do you use?
  • Any concerns about cool air passing over the surface of the aquarium during labyrinth organ development
  • What do you consider the best floating plants for a betta aquarium
  • How and at what age do you select the bettas you will raise and what do you do with the others?

If there were time I would ask these 5 open ended questions

• What would your dream betta look like?
  • What is your favorite betta you have every owned?
  • How much time commitment per week is required from you to maintain your operation?
  • Are there any exciting developments in new betta strains?
  • Who do you look up to and follow with regards to bettas?
  • Like 1

Hi Gianne! I have two interrelated questions.

1. I was wondering how you would suggest getting involved in a species maintenance program? I’m just beginning breeding B. falx and I don’t know any other people who even have them… and there’s not an ibc chapter near me. 

2. What would your advice be in trying to maintain as robust and diverse a genetic pool as possible in a breeding population of wild bettas?

Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

How do you know if a female betta is a plakat or long-fin? 

What are the most common reasons why a betta pair won’t spawn? Are males (or females) more likely to be the problematic partner when spawning? Do you ever swap out one of the specimens if they won’t spawn or do you try a different pair altogether?

That was an awesome livestream. Anyone who missed it , whether you are interested in bettas or not should really watch this. Very informative about not just bettas, but also about much of the basics of breeding that applies to most tropical fish. Gianne was very lively and knowledgeable and has set the bar very high for future livestreams! Good job @Zenzo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I moved a feisty female Betta to an established community tank. I think I got lucky having shy fish in there. She owns the top front of the tank, and seems to get along.

I especially enjoyed the discussion about temperature for Betta fry v adult Bettas.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, Streetwise said:

I especially enjoyed the discussion about temperature for Betta fry v adult Bettas.

I really enjoyed the breeding two yellow bettas together, and the bad results that came with it. I really want to know why its like that.

Hugo is a bit of a  faded yellow, . I'm wondering if his two parents were two yellows. 

• Like 1

You guys, this presentation was SO awesome! I learned so many new things. Even though I don't have a Betta, the info on breeding labyrinth fish was good for this gourami owner too!

I was so sad to miss the live. My 79-year-old mom needed help activating & learning her new cell phone. 🤣 And her timing did not gel with mine today, but I really don't mind. 😉 So I was extremely grateful that the playback was an option. 

@Zenzo, kudos on your first successful meeting! I can't wait for the next one! 

Alesha 

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 7/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, GameCzar said:

Are there any particular species that is more hearty?   Or one that is more prone to health issues?

She said that as far as betta splendens, the short finned ones tend to be hardier.