Schooling fish recommendations

I reached out suggestions for a centerpiece fish. You all were so good at your recommendations, that I wanted to ask you again for suggestions for schooling fish.. 

The 20 gallon has 2 snails, 2 shrimp, 4 corydora cats, LOTS of guppies and I will be added 7 Otto's to help with plant algae. The issue is.. the center of the tank.. is well.. EMPTY.. I wanted to get some schooling fish that would be a good fit. I went to the LFS and saw some really pretty black neon tetra's that might look nice and not be too big. Thoughts for the 20 Gallon?

The 40 Gallon, is REALLY lightly stocked right now (2 plecos, 6 panda corys and 5 Ottos ** will be adding more on the weekend too). Its the one that will eventually get the centerpiece fish, but I would like some schooling fish. The LFS had 2 I liked 1) rummy nose tetras and 2) Pearl Danio (NOT CPD) these were a bit larger with a beautiful color to them. 

I was thinking either a school of each or a LARGE school of just 1 breed? Thoughts on the 40 Gallon?? 

In the 20, with the guppies running random it may be tough to get a decent school going.  I would consider the Cardinal Tetra.

Rummy Nose are pretty cool, that would be my choice.  Plus they are like the "canary in the coal mine" if their noses are not red there is something needing attention (just don't use their nose as reference at first light).  I would also consider the Candycane Tetra.

IMO a guppy tank is good by itself and adding a schooling fish could make it look a little chaotic. If I was to do it anyways since you say you want to I would go with a color that is opposite your guppies so they compliment each other.

Pearl Danios would be perfect for a 40 but they are pretty energetic so just keep that in mind because they won't let any flake food hit the ground.

• Thanks 1

Personally I like nano stuff and that could work for you but that means they are more skittish normally or are easily out competed for food. I would go for something small but not a true nano fish, something like a neon, cardinal, green neon or any tetra that stays under 3 inches but be wary even some small tetras might predate guppy fry. Asia also has lots of fish to offer with most danios and rasboras being good candidates and some smaller barbs might catch your eye.

Personally I like Microdevario kubotai/green neon rasbora, Sundadanio sp/blue neon rasbora and Brachydanio tinwini/gold ring danio. These have been in my tanks for the last few years and all school to some degree and are small enough that guppy fry with any amount of cover should be able to survive. 

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Green Neon Rasbora but @Brackon beat me to it.  I have them in a 38 gallon with Endlers, CPDs, Emerald Rasbora and Venezuelan Cory.  They are always schooling mid water level and I still have more Endler babies than I know what to do with.  This is by far my favorite tank to watch also.

• Like 1

Pearl danios were my first schooling fish, and they are drastically underrated. If your 40 gets any sunlight from a window, they will light up in the most gorgeous shades of opalescent green and purple. Photos just can't capture it between how fast they move and how the light has to catch them just right. I miss my 40 and that school. Even if your tank doesn't get sunlight, they're still gorgeous once you get them established.

Edit: this photo captures their mature coloration well under normal aquarium lighting. It also captures how hard it is to focus on them with a camera. This is one ofy better ones, and I was focused on documenting algae not them, lol.

IMG_20190113_132551.jpg

Edited by Schmorty
Additional photo info
  • Love 1

On 7/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

These are great recommendations! If I can't get them from my LFS where is a good place to purchase these online? 

I haven't bough fish online in 3 years but I know theres the community run aquabid and getgills. You could always try contacting the wetspot too they are only 2 hours from me down South in Portland Oregon so I just drive down there but I know they ship but they have a minimum order size and minimum order price so unless you are getting lots I'd say just talk to your lfs. Most local fish stores will work with you on special orders. Theres a lot of things on their fish lists they won't get just because they don't sell but if they know you will for sure get say all 20 they order then they typically don't mind.

• Thanks 1

I'll also add that I just bought a school of Black Neons yesterday, and I'm very pleased with them. They do get kinda big though (for a tetra), some of mine are already bigger than 2 inches. I got them for a 75 with angelfish and platies.

PXL_20210706_142741736.jpg

• Thanks 1