Black Neocaridina Sighting

Fish Folk

When I breed killifish, I typically put one or two neocaridinas into the egg hatching jug to eat infertile eggs and fungus. It really works great. Of course there’s tons of Java moss, a primed sponge filter, and eventually powdered fish food too.

Later, when I add the Killis to my colony tank, I pour in the neocaridinas too. They disappear, and I rarely see them after that.

But this morning I was pleased to spot two black neos that I rarely saw before. Love this! It’s like getting new fish... except you find them already in your tank!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That is so cool. 

Right now I have in my 20 Gallon Betta Bowl...6 Amano shrimp, 3 Cherry Shrimp and 6 Bloody Mary Cherry shrimp. 2 Nerite snails and 2 Mystery snails.  I never get to see them all at once....that was until last night when I put some boiled spinach in the tank and within 10 min they were all aver it...LOL 

I sat their for like an hour mesmerized and kind of traumatized when I saw one mystery snail mount the other one and went to town.  I did not have my camera near me to video it but geeze...Get a room...😱

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, ARMYVET said:

That is so cool. 

Right now I have in my 20 Gallon Betta Bowl...6 Amano shrimp, 3 Cherry Shrimp and 6 Bloody Mary Cherry shrimp. 2 Nerite snails and 2 Mystery snails.  I never get to see them all at once....that was until last night when I put some boiled spinach in the tank and within 10 min they were all aver it...LOL 

I sat their for like an hour mesmerized and kind of traumatized when I saw one mystery snail mount the other one and went to town.  I did not have my camera near me to video it but geeze...Get a room...😱

Popeye the Sailor man! Bring on the spinach. I'll have to try boiled spinach. Do you just buy it loose leaf and boil it yourself?

Yeah . . . mystery snails are shameless. They'll try to lay their eggs above the surface of the water. More than once, ours fell out of the tank and died trying to do that.

My first and perhaps my last attempt to keep shrimp started with 3 Amano Shrimp. in January.  I would not see my $24. for almost 3 weeks..  Now I get to see one on the back of the HOB about once or twice a week.  I've never seen them out in the open, so I may only have one.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 9:36 AM, Fish Folk said:

o you just buy it loose leaf and boil it yourself?

My wife buys bagged spinach for her "Salads"🙄 I took a few leaves and put them in boiling water for 3-4 min then rinsed them in cold water then placed them in the aquarium.   I just sat them on the bottom but you can get one of those suction cup clips and put it there is you wish,  I leave it in for 24 hours an usually everything is gone...maybe a thin piece of leaf stalk and I remove it.

You can do the same thing with carrots....I buy sliced carrots into the rounds and boil them for 5 min ....rinse and put in tank. Since I have so many shrimp I usually put in 2-3 slices so they dont fight ...LOL  One of the Amano does not like others sharing his food.

Since I have put them in the tank there is no algae anywhere to be seen so I supplement feed them every other day or so.  Always changing the food from the carrot to spinach to Repashy.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, Tanked said:

My first and perhaps my last attempt to keep shrimp started with 3 Amano Shrimp. in January.  I would not see my $24. for almost 3 weeks..  Now I get to see one on the back of the HOB about once or twice a week.  I've never seen them out in the open, so I may only have one.

Put some spinach in the tank and I promise you will see them all ..lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Patrick_G said:

The black ones are so cool! This one came from an Orange mother and produced some red fry. 

37439880-12FA-4A3D-9B9F-99F902005FFB.jpeg

I've been listening to The Aquarist Podcast, Episode 1, with Erik Lucas today. I'm not sure if I'll ever fall into a proper "shrimp keeper" category . . . but they are such gems. I probably like fish too much to run a "fishless" shrimp breeding tank. I bought a couple dozen lime green neos this past spring. They disappeared. Just gone. 

• Like 1

I’ve had so much trouble with shrimp that my shrimp budget has become a family joke. I finally had a batch of mutt fry survive and added them to the community 75. The environment in there must be shrimp magic. They grow twice as fast and reproduce like crazy. I love it! 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, Fish Folk said:

They disappeared. Just gone. 

When you say gone...do you mean gone have not seen or gone dead gone?  Try the spinach trick and see if you can entice them out if they are just hiding.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, ARMYVET said:

When you say gone...do you mean gone have not seen or gone dead gone?  Try the spinach trick and see if you can entice them out if they are just hiding.

Definitely will try the spinach trick! They just disappeared. Long story short, it was in  tank cared for by 5th graders. I assume something wasn't to their liking. Maybe the guppies ate some . . . who knows. But they're gone now. I'll report on the spinach trick!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:53 AM, Tanked said:

There were a couple of scenes in The Naked Gun movies where Leslie Nielsen's boss practiced "The ancient Japanese art of concealment" where he would disguise himself as a couch or other furnishing and then suddenly reveal himself.  Amanos are masters of this same ancient art as well.  

We had 3 Amanos in a 3 gallon tank that was bare save an epoxy rock with a plastic plant and a moss ball and didn't see a single one of them for a good 6-9 months.  I finally persuaded the landlord of the tank to let me drain everything and start over as it seemed to be suffering "Old Tank Syndrome".  When I got the water drained down almost even with the gravel, all three appeared from nowhere alive and well.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Woohoo, grats on the black "surprise" shrimp 🙂

My 75 is my shrimp cull tank. I get some crazy looking shrimps in there. When we first started getting tanks set up in beginning of the pandemic. She got a dozen fire red cherrys and I got some regular low grade reds and some yellows. She had one wild looking shrimp that came with her fire reds. Took me 4 or 5 months to catch that wild one. Dang hard to spot in a 55 with a lot of plants and dark eco-complete.  Fast forward to present time, and her gorgeous reds still throw some really dark chocolates with an almost copper to pink back stripe. I put them in the 75 when I can catch them. So far they have all been females. I get light greens, with the wild strip patterns on them too, from my yellows I'm guessing. I have been netting them out and am trying to strengthen the "green" traits.  I love those little buggers.

I finally got around to cleaning her pre-filter sponge, and as I was about to dump the water I noticed 4 or 5 blue shrimp fry (3mm maybe 4) swimming in the mulm. Genetics man, gotta love it!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, Patrick_G said:

The black ones are so cool! This one came from an Orange mother and produced some red fry. 

37439880-12FA-4A3D-9B9F-99F902005FFB.jpeg

I have some “tiger” wild type that came from an orange mother. Really cool and now they’ve bred all over the place. I honestly prefer my tiger colorway because i never see them in my LFS’s

• Like 1