Where is everyone from?

KentFishFanUK

Western Maryland. Appalachian hillbilly country.

0DB70D60-AF5B-43EE-BE70-8F184378198A.jpeg.58a91e0c7f6cf4457b974ef586fa8564.jpeg

We travel over to Washington D. C. to sell fish sometimes and to meet with Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, our fish club. But we always return to the Shire.

293004154_ScreenShot2021-07-05at1_46_22PM.png.ff9dac76f5c81554f1f36a712b01146e.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

USA for me. I am originally from Revere north of  Boston, Massachusetts. After a few stops along the way I am living on a essentially a mountain top in Colorado a little over 9,100 feet up in a small town 45 minutes from most things and most fish shops a bit further than that. My fish scene is pretty much this forum and youtube. Photo of the last paved portion of our road before the dirt and the view of the trout lakes that run along the back of our house. 

IMG_20190114_131658681.jpg

The bottom of the hill-2.JPG

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

Ft Lauderdale Florida here.  Land of the Hot and Humid.  Satan came for a visit and had to go back home because he couldn't handle the heat.

Have a 20 gallon Beta Bowl that has cherry shrimp, amano shrimp and almost every snail possible including ramshorns, nerites and Mysteries. 

Working on a 150 gallon outdoor pond nearing completion....Article soon to come! 

Upper Management has given the green light to start planning a garage conversion to fish room.  Its in the mental designing stage currently but hopefully will have all the bells and whistles! If anybody has any suggestions or pitfalls for me to look out for please let me know.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Southern New Jersey born and raised, with a trip to Pittsburgh for university and DC for my early career. No, not the part of New Jersey anywhere near NYC -- I live in farm country, in a very old town of about 1500 people, surrounded by fruit orchards, horses, and cows. We are closer to Wilmington, Delaware than any other city, with Philadelphia the next-closest. I'll never forget when my then-boyfriend, now-husband  Wisconsinite visited my part of NJ for the first time and exclaimed, "Wow! There are trees here!"

We have quite a few LFSs around here along with Petco and Petsmart, but my favorite store is a well-stocked aquarium center about half an hour away. I have two tanks so far, a 29 gallon (corydoras elegans, diamond tetras, honey gouramis, thicklipped gourami, mystery snails, amano shrimp, and nerite snails) and a 10 gallon (quarantine, technically), and I'm working on starting up a 55 gallon with larger gouramis and rasboras, possibly livebearers.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Awesome to be so close! Do you visit the store much? I'd love to visit and meet Cory and the team one day. I hope they branch out and open a franchise or at very least an online store in the UK. 

I visit when I can but heavy traffic in Seattle makes it more than a casual trip. I haven’t seen Cory but all the staff are very knowledgeable and if it’s not busy they love to talk fish. The staff to customer ratio is high, it’s like shoppers get their own fish concierge. 

On 7/5/2021 at 5:37 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Hi neighbour! I haven't found any very local clubs either but there are some around apparently, can't remember where I found them but it wasn't Facebook. Most of them were themed to a particular type of fish though, vaguely remember a Killifish club and I think a pleco club. 

I could probably find quite a few clubs near me as I am only a tube ride away from London. 

I'm in Madison, Alabama, just outside of Huntsville. The LFS scene here is pretty abysmal ever since our big one closed a few years ago, but at least there's several big box stores around in case I need something. As for local clubs and swaps; none that I know of so far. I have to use the forum for all my nermy social needs.

• Like 1

From California, more specifically the Central Valley. Currently have 5 aquariums, 4 freshwater planted and just recently started a reef tank. Locally I do not have access to fish stores but there is a Petco and Petsmart that I do not go to. Luckily I have a few good fish stores within an hour drive. 

It is nice to meet you! It is also so cool to see where everyone is from, the nerms are all over the place! 😂

• Like 1

Minnesota, ATM.  It's 36C and humid here today.  Like the Dallas of the north.  But as the locals like to remind me "enjoy it now, it'll be winter soon enough".  While it is true it will be -30C in a few months time.  But try as I might, I don't seem to posses the climate averaging capacity the locals do.  I'm uncomfortable now, and I'll also be uncomfortable when it's 30 below.  One doesn't make up for the other. 

1220823_MNwinter.jpg.74022a5b4bb250aedbadff67412ad4ac.jpg

We do have a few good LFS, so that's nice.  Plus, some large aquarium supply companies, and custom aquarium builders.  As well as, a club that's been active for 90 years this autumn!  In terms of this hobby, it's a pretty decent place to be. 

• Like 1

Like Old Duck I am from Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.  I have a 80 gallon tank I am converting to a planted tank if I can get my Nitrates down.  Currently I have one Clown Loach but he will have to go as I am planning on going with Fancy Guppies in that tanks.

I did pick up (4) 10 gallon tanks, one for a QT and the other 3 for breeding guppies.

• Like 1

Loving the replies and getting to know everyone from all over.

Unfortunately I have run out of likes to give (why is there a limit?) and as I'm still at work and my boss has me doing stuff *sigh* I can't reply to everyone right now.

But keep replying and I'll get round to messaging everyone sooner or later!

Nice to meet all you nerms!

Chat soon hopefully

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:44 PM, Steve A said:

Like Old Duck I am from Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.  I have a 80 gallon tank I am converting to a planted tank if I can get my Nitrates down.  Currently I have one Clown Loach but he will have to go as I am planning on going with Fancy Guppies in that tanks.

I did pick up (4) 10 gallon tanks, one for a QT and the other 3 for breeding guppies.

Wait, 'if' you can get your nitrates down? Don't plants love nitrates? And won't they help you get them down? 

• Like 1

Yes but I just started my plants 4 days ago, it looks like 3 will make it ok so I will probably order some more next week

Originally Northern West Germany when there was still a West, and an East Germany, followed by the South Eastern U.S. and Texas 35 years ago and then for the last 31 years Colorado, with lots of interruptions by repeated longer stays in Europe, desert, and jungle "vacations" all expenses paid, booked by Uncle Sam, with adventure and entertainment included. After that I got another degree in Nursing and worked in that field for a while, only to eventually return to photography and translations.

• Like 2

Welcome to this awesome group of nerms 🙂

Boise Idaho here. I have all low tech tanks, from 75 gallons down to 10, with a cast iron tub out back converted to a goldfish pond. Our area is very poor in local fish stores, but rich in wide open country.

Picture below was taken on a train ride along the Payette river, about an hour north of Boise.

DSC_3859.JPG.3f1a8b61c3b45578cb0ad7e220d94571.JPG

Winter view, from the front yard

DSC_4403.JPG.58f6ebefc98f6bae33140ef850882a2c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, Steve A said:

Yes but I just started my plants 4 days ago, it looks like 3 will make it ok so I will probably order some more next week

Try ordering from A-Z Aquatics for local Saturday delivery anywhere in the metroplex for a small fee.  She has somewhat limited selection compared to larger stores, but great prices.  They also ship for very reasonable prices, but then you have the risk of severe heat exposure.  The local delivery on Saturdays is the best if you can be available on Saturdays.  I’ve put in an order late on Friday evening and still gotten it the next day.  They keep up with their stock list pretty well.

And it’s Odd Duck, not Old Duck, but Old Duck works, too!  😆 😉 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, Griznatch said:

Welcome to this awesome group of nerms 🙂

Boise Idaho here. I have all low tech tanks, from 75 gallons down to 10, with a cast iron tub out back converted to a goldfish pond. Our area is very poor in local fish stores, but rich in wide open country.

Picture below was taken on a train ride along the Payette river, about an hour north of Boise.

DSC_3859.JPG.3f1a8b61c3b45578cb0ad7e220d94571.JPG

Winter view, from the front yard

DSC_4403.JPG.58f6ebefc98f6bae33140ef850882a2c.JPG

I love Boise! We would consider moving except for the crazy real estate market. 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, Odd Duck said:

Try ordering from A-Z Aquatics for local Saturday delivery anywhere in the metroplex for a small fee.  She has somewhat limited selection compared to larger stores, but great prices.  They also ship for very reasonable prices, but then you have the risk of severe heat exposure.  The local delivery on Saturdays is the best if you can be available on Saturdays.  I’ve put in an order late on Friday evening and still gotten it the next day.  They keep up with their stock list pretty well.

And it’s Odd Duck, not Old Duck, but Old Duck works, too!  😆 😉 

Sorry about the name Odd Duck.  I may just take a drive out there, they are on the east side of Dallas in Royse City.

• Like 1

My local fish market is pretty good and I have local fish store that have a breeding building and has some amazing catfish and livebearers including honeycomb catfish and L209 Plecos which the owner of the store bred the pleco for the first time in the world and a few other have bred it but most of those where f1 bred by him which is amazing. I know the owner well because I have a summer job all year round at his shop.

• Like 1