How to heal this fish?

Pcallaway256

Hello all, I finally after many months of work got my planted community tank established. So I bought a school of neon tetras, I noticed one yesterday is missing his lower lip. He just has a hole where his mouth should be. I have an old 6.5 gal tank that I’ve turned into a hospital tank. I put 2 tablespoons of salt and placed him in there. So I was wondering, will he heal from this? Or should I just cut my losses and euthanize him? 

For that to be honest I’m not sure. I fed them yesterday and they all seemed to eat but after I noticed him I put him in the tank by himself and wasn’t sure if I should try and feed him again. So since also posting this I noticed my Molly’s had babies haha. So I just took some ground up fish flake and water and put it near them. I might try the same with him since...well he has no lips and just a hole. 

If there is any white growth or signs of a bacterial or fungal infection, I would try treating it with Maracyn since an infection might explain the missing flesh. Since it seems the fish are new to you, they could have gotten an infection at a fish farm, wholesaler, or your local pet store without anyone noticing. Hope this helps!

I mean I’m not going to cull him just because he has a thing going on right now. I just wasn’t sure because I mean, he literally has no mouth. It’s like just a hole. Seriously lol he has no face, so my fear was he would starve to death if this wasn’t something that would grow back. But like I said, I have him in salt and some anti-bac solution. But this is my first fish tank so I’m not sure if lips on fish was something that would grow back? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just to follow up, the fish didn’t make it. I guess he couldn’t eat and starved. I tried to feed him the same as you would fry, with very very fine food. But even then he couldn’t get anything. I came home and he was dead. But thanks for all the help everyone! 

• Sad 4