Mac users and Retina Screen

Trish

I upgraded from a non Retina to a Retina Screen.  All my previous photography that was crystal clear now comes in blurred in Photo's.  Posting to  internet sites that don't support retina screen technology will show the same poor quality until all sites upgrade I've been told.  Thought the improvement to a higher pixel density would be glorious, I can't say I'm too excited and much preferred my MacBook Pro 13' Mid 2012, that had maxed out ram, and hard drive.   The kids keep telling me to switch to PC but I was raised on Apple's since the 512's.  

Any opinions?

On 7/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, Trish said:

I upgraded from a non Retina to a Retina Screen.  All my previous photography that was crystal clear now comes in blurred in Photo's.  Posting to  internet sites that don't support retina screen technology will show the same poor quality until all sites upgrade I've been told.  Thought the improvement to a higher pixel density would be glorious, I can't say I'm too excited and much preferred my MacBook Pro 13' Mid 2012, that had maxed out ram, and hard drive.   The kids keep telling me to switch to PC but I was raised on Apple's since the 512's.  

Any opinions?

Have you tinkered with this?

738694163_ScreenShot2021-07-03at11_29_41PM.png.0ee3f09cd2f4262bdaefbd729d27fa0a.png

• Like 1

Thank you @Fish Folk  I'm familiar with setting the screen resolution, but I don't think that's where the problem is.  I have  several thousand's of images that were crystal clear on my non retina MacBook Pro.  When I transferred everything over to the Retina laptop, all the old photos became blurry in Photo app.   This new Retina laptop doesn't make all my images look blurry, only the old ones from the first laptop, some of my best images. 

I've looked at the link below and it instructs to double the pixel length.  This is the reasoning for the article "since our images weren’t sized for Retina Displays, b) our photos look bad on Retina Displays."

https://www.amyandjordan.com/2015/education/blurry-apple-retina-display-images/

I have to resize thousands of photos?  I would probably make duplicates and not mess around with the originals just in case.  Like the article I thought I was in for a real treat but that's not the case.  Those photos posted to the internet from and viewed from the old laptop always looked great.  Now I can go back and look with the new laptop and  they look like they have disintegrated in quality... it's weird!   

Now I'm wondering what other people viewing them think if they are using Retina Screens, as some of them can't be removed from the internet.  

On 7/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

Have you tinkered with this?

738694163_ScreenShot2021-07-03at11_29_41PM.png.0ee3f09cd2f4262bdaefbd729d27fa0a.png

Ahh.. you might be right @Fish Folk about the resolution.  I usually have it set at default and they say editing on a retina screen is better done with a bigger image than returned to default.  Thank you!   

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7366693

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, Trish said:

MacBook Pro 13' Mid 2012,

I have mine still sitting on the desk and am considering still considering going back to it. I 'upgraded' to a 2017 12" Macbook, and regret it every time I touch this garbage keyboard.

Edited by DShelton
typo

On 7/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, DShelton said:

I have mine still sitting on the desk and am considering still considering going back to it. I 'upgraded' to a 2017 12" Macbook, and regret it every time I touch this garbage keyboard.

13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012   Best laptop I've ever owned, I bought it new maxed out, one year past new in the box.  It gave me 8 yrs and was a true workhorse.  Unfortunately the motherboard fried and would cost $1000 to replace and still not be guaranteed.  I replaced it with a 15" Retina 2015.  The mid 2012's are still sought after as they were the last of the upgradable laptops.  Treasure yours! @DShelton

On 7/4/2021 at 7:08 PM, Streetwise said:

Apple changed the keyboard design from butterfly to scissor in 2019 based on user feedback.

@StreetwiseThanks for this info.  I had to get a new battery this year and for some reason they replaced the keyboard at no charge... now I know why.   

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 9:08 PM, Trish said:

13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012   Best laptop I've ever owned, I bought it new maxed out, one year past new in the box.  It gave me 8 yrs and was a true workhorse.  Unfortunately the motherboard fried and would cost $1000 to replace and still not be guaranteed.  I replaced it with a 15" Retina 2015.  The mid 2012's are still sought after as they were the last of the upgradable laptops.  Treasure yours! @DShelton

Yeah mine has a wonky behaving SATA controller. I think I am going to send it to Louis Rossmann and see what it will take to repair it.

• Sad 1

On 7/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, Streetwise said:

@Trish, did you notice a new keyboard?

I do so much typing on so many keyboards that I am not as picky as I would be if I were only using my own devices.

I always align myself squarely with any keyboard, and do not type diagonally or offset.

No @Streetwise I didn't need a new keyboard..

I bought this Retina MacBook Pro reconditioned, it supposedly had a new battery and 6 months later I started having flashing screens when I shut down.  Took it in to Apple and they said the battery needed to be replaced, as it was swelling and had bent the hard drive!  The case wasn't showing any signs of being pushed out.  These hard drives must be flimsy now compared to what I remember.  My keyboard was ok, they said it was a free recall and replaced it without mentioning it until I saw the invoice.   

I wore out some of the key caps on the old laptop and I know you can replace individually, but they told me they don't do that now and I would have to replace the entire keyboard.  I had a feeling I was being taken advantage of and didn't agree to it. 

Edited by Trish