On 7/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, ARMYVET said:

I want to do a shell dweller tank with a 50 gal lowboy and want the Neolamprologus multifasciatus.  They are awesome looking and breed like rabbits...LOL

Do you know what the difference is between the similis and the multifaciatus? They look like the same fish. 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, Paul_Obermiller said:

Do you know what the difference is between the similis and the multifaciatus? They look like the same fish. 

Neolamprologus similis is very similar, but whereas the vertical stripes on Neolamprologus multifasciatus run from the gill cover to the base of the tail, on 

Edited by ARMYVET

• 3 weeks later...

Let me know if you have any questions setting up your Shelly tank. I have pretty much everything but similis and ocellatus. That isn't because I don't like or want them, just ran out of space for now. There are a few oddball Shellies out there that I think should be more popular than they are. Check out a few journals I have linked below for details on a few. Happy to answer any other questions you might have if you don't get them from the journals.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:05 AM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Let me know if you have any questions setting up your Shelly tank. I have pretty much everything but similis and ocellatus. That isn't because I don't like or want them, just ran out of space for now. There are a few oddball Shellies out there that I think should be more popular than they are. Check out a few journals I have linked below for details on a few. Happy to answer any other questions you might have if you don't get them from the journals.

Do you have any experience with lamprologus caudopunctatus?

On 7/22/2021 at 5:38 AM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

I currently have 6 younger ones. Only a matter of time before they start breeding. I might have to move them out of the tank with my Julie Ornatus.

I cannot tell yet if they prefer the shells or rock work.

Caudopuncts are rock spawners, but the fry use the shells as a club house, I’ve seen the adults use shells when juveniles if no rock work in tank, but after a while the start living under/near the sponge filter. So add both options.

If you have punks and multies in the same tank, you will see disputes in regards to shell ownership. You can get away with less shells for punks, 2-3 for multies. But still adult punks stay closer to the rocks.

All said and done, this is from my experience with WC, not sure if tank bred fish differ in domestic living choices. 

• Thanks 1

There is a particular YouTuber that makes great videos on shell dwellers and has all of them you have been talking about (don't know if I can say who) just do a bit of looking there and I'm sure you'll find them