Bucephalandra "Green Wavy" light requirements

the coop sight says Bucephalandra "Green Wavy" needs low light but I'd like to put it in a higher spot in my aquarium that probably gets medium to high light.  Is that okay?  Some sites say low to high is okay but I thought I'd see what people here's experience is.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:48 AM, CT_ said:

the coop sight says Bucephalandra "Green Wavy" needs low light but I'd like to put it in a higher spot in my aquarium that probably gets medium to high light.  Is that okay?  Some sites say low to high is okay but I thought I'd see what people here's experience is.

Same question I have, just got mine 1st pot of buce in today.

They tolerate higher light but since they are slow growing, higher light can trigger some algae growth.  If you’re not having algae issues, you may be just fine.  If you’re having *any* algae issues, higher light on a Buce (or on any slow grower) isn’t the best idea.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 10:27 PM, Odd Duck said:

They tolerate higher light but since they are slow growing, higher light can trigger some algae growth.  If you’re not having algae issues, you may be just fine.  If you’re having *any* algae issues, higher light on a Buce (or on any slow grower) isn’t the best idea.

My val and the edges of my anubias nana petite are growing staghorn right now.  😞

On 7/4/2021 at 12:50 AM, CT_ said:

My val and the edges of my anubias nana petite are growing staghorn right now.  😞

A little peroxide treatment can do wonders for clearing staghorn.  I usually do 3 mls/gallon.  Turn off all filters, and I use a syringe and tubing to dose the 3% peroxide directly over the affected area.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then restart filters.  It will take a day or so, then you’ll see the algae change colors to red or sometimes just gray.  Then usually any snails or shrimp (and some fish) will eat it or it will just fade away.  May take a couple treatments to clear it completely.  I had some stag horn algae on the pinto that I posted.  2 treatments (and better water parameters) cleared it completely.

1D838C16-BA2F-4985-80CF-ECB2A09B45DC.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Add photo.
  • Thanks 1