29 Gallons, new to this for the second time!

First aquarium since one I had about 20 years ago as a teenager.  First one with live plants.

29 gallons, maybe starting to get the hang of it. Fed them some love baby brine shrimp for the first time and it seemed like a hit. Maybe put too much in, but I can adjust that next time and it looked cool at least, haha

• Like 3

I'm just starting my 29 after about 15 years and trying live plants too!! I love the floating moss ball 🙂 

Just set up the 29 today, hoping to snag some filter media and maybe some plants from my brother in law on Sunday to help it cycle and then get some fish in there soon 🙂 ! 

welcome back and your tank looks great!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words!

My Amano shrimps love that moss ball. They have taken over that castle. It’s hollow inside, so they’ll use the doorway and traipse in and out and then hop onto that moss ball or roam around cleaning plants. 

Love watching fish get excited for their treats.

Just picked up a 29 recently also. Waiting on a few supplies to arrive for set up. Going to leak test today. Not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated by the extra height. It took me a good four months on my first ever planted to get the lighting/planting/stocking balanced.

All the best!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated anything about this tank in a while, after getting the 45 g set up.  Flame dwarf gourami is the centerpiece.  4 dannios, 5 tiger endlers, and 8 emerald eye rasboras are the dithers.  Got a gang of amano shrimp helping keep the place clean.  I had some albino aeneus corydoras, but moved them to the 45 to make room for some striata loaches!

Added 5 of those dudes and then really didn't see them much for a few days.  They mostly were hiding inside the castle decoration and only darting out in the dark.  Never saw them eating any of the food I put in, but I am pretty sure they have been sniping the ramshorn snails that live in there.

Added a cholla log to give them some extra cover in a place I could see them and decided to see if they'd come out for some frozen bloodworms, as I'd read they tend to like those.  That was a winner!  Here are a few of them out and about.  They were visible and swimming around all evening after that!  Very entertaining fish.  I was a little worried as some of the worms got jammed between the log and the glass, but the loaches used their narrow snouts to snaffle them all up eventually.

• Love 1

• 8 months later...

Been a long time since I updated this thread!  Some stuff has been moved around.  Sadly, the dwarf gourami that lived in this tank succumbed to dwarf gourami disease.  Ended up moving the apisto from my other tank into this one.  He was a little shy after the move, but here are some of the neons doing their dither fish duty and showing Max that it's safe.  

Also, you can spot my blue eyed lemon bristlenose pleco very briefly scooting by in the background.  That's Oceiros (after Consumed King Oceiros, in case anyone's a Dark Souls nerd like me).

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

I'll have to post some more recent pics in here, since it looks a bit different now!  I have a bad habit of being too restless and changing things too often, but I'm trying to be better about it.

I removed the big castle decoration and replaced it with some driftwood and more plants.  I'm really trying to keep it more natural now and have very little in the way of artificial decorations.  I got a little curious about trying to change to a sand substrate or adding sand on top of the gravel.  Ended up doing some reading and realizing either one is not a good idea for me at all.  IT AIN'T BROKE, SO DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!

In the meantime, here's a pic of my bristlenose doing a very good job of hiding.  Nobody can see him.  He's invisible, you guys.  (the pic is a bit grainy, it's a screengrab from a webcam I have set up so I can look at the tank while I'm at work)

339684914_207674038545826_6889924674960962139_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1