What is the best way to transition fish from high to a lower ph.

Ken Burke

There are so many variables that can and will be at play.  Would you tell us a little bit more about the transition?  Are you moving?  Is this within our own fish room?  Are you going from well water to municipal water?  

Without details, here are some of the things I would do under certain circumstances: if I was moving from where I am at now on municipal water (7.5) and moving to a house in our area with well water (typically in the 8.2~ range) and the move to transport was less than an hour, I would most likely use a drip acclimation in a cooler.  If I was moving somewhere in which the fish would be traveling with me for over 48 hours - 72 hours, I would consider doing the drop - n - plop method.  If I was transferring from one tank in my home to another, I would use drip acclimation.  

• Like 2

This may sound drastic but I usually cut open the bag with the fish and dump fish and water directly into their new home. There is a tiny amount of stress with an abrupt transition, but it is generally less stress than the alternatives because the are going from fouled water in the bag to clean water in the tank in as short of time as possible results in the greatest benefit for the health of the fish.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This may sound drastic but I usually cut open the bag with the fish and dump fish and water directly into their new home. There is a tiny amount of stress with an abrupt transition, but it is generally less stress than the alternatives because the are going from fouled water in the bag to clean water in the tank in as short of time as possible results in the greatest benefit for the health of the fish.

I’ve heard about people doing that.  Do you pour in water and all or net the fish out.

1 minute ago, Ken Burke said:

I’ve heard about people doing that.  Do you pour in water and all or net the fish out.

I do both. If they are the first only fish in the tank, my thinking is that there is nothing in the water that isn't in the fish also. 

If I suspect more than just a little ammonia in the bag I will net them and not include the polluted water.

Netting carries its own risk however, so I only net the fish if I have to.

Ken, I drip acclimate fish that come in breather bags. Basically you transfer the fish and water from the breather bag into a small container. Then connect an air line from the aquarium where they will finally reside and start a syphon from the aquarium into the container with the fish and bag water. Use a slow drip. You can use an air valve to control the flow or simply tie a lose knot on the hose to get the desired drip rate. When the water volume in the container has doubled, then float that container in the tank so the temperature can equalize. Once the temperature is equalized, net the fish out of the container, move it to the aquarium and dispose of the container water. This is a very slow process, but works for me. As you probably have seen, there are many different ways to do the same thing. Not right or wrong... just different 🙂

20200917_114014.jpg