netting out pond fish

CT_

It's not quite time yet, but how the heck do you net out pond fish when there's so many plants.  My tub pond has tons of fry and some of them will need to come out eventually.

I also don't want to remove the friendliest fish and have a tub full of fish that are bred to hide.

Here's a photo of my tub for fun and for thumbnail PXL_20210702_194009671.jpg.793dff866e356ea031ba6642fd141e61.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 7/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, CalmedByFish said:

For my indoor tanks, I remove the plants before netting fish. Much easier. Can you do that with these plants?

hyacinth and lettuce yeah i think so,  They can sit in a bucket or something.  The lilies, IDK, that might be traumatic for them, i'm not sure how lilies work though.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, CT_ said:

hyacinth and lettuce yeah i think so,  They can sit in a bucket or something.  The lilies, IDK, that might be traumatic for them, i'm not sure how lilies work though.

Yeah, I only remove plants that aren't rooted in the substrate. Still helps.

• Like 1

I planted all of my pond plants that are substrate planted into baskets.  The actual pond has a bare bottom.  When its time to harvest fish I can remove the baskets with the plants an put into bins full of water then harvest all of the fish,

BECKETT - 10 in. x 10 in. Plastic Water Garden Basket

• Like 6

Oh that's smart.  My lilies came bundled in straw with directions saying just drop them in.  So far so good but I'm worried they'll burn out and need more nutrients soon.  @ARMYVETWhat substrate can I use that won't ammonia poison my fish? . Are there extra strong pond safe root tabs for this kind of application?

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:14 PM, CT_ said:

Oh that's smart.  My lilies came bundled in straw with directions saying just drop them in.  So far so good but I'm worried they'll burn out and need more nutrients soon.  @ARMYVETWhat substrate can I use that won't ammonia poison my fish? . Are there extra strong pond safe root tabs for this kind of application?

I am using pea gravel in my pots and used the AQUARIUM CO OP root tabs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1