Uv sterilization

Ben Ellison

I am using a aquatatop cannister  that came with a uv sterilizer.  I'm curious  how much protection  does this offer? I did notice when ich broke out in this tank due to bad water parameters i added it and it was the shortest ich battle I've ever had. But like tapeworms and such are they killed by it?

Good morning Ben from another Ben.  While personally I love my UV sterilizer, when it comes to parasites and fish illnesses in general, I honestly believe it is best to treat accordingly with medications.  I highly recommend the Aquarium Co-Op trio, if you have not done with your fish already.  While I do not know the answer specifically on tape worms, I do know prior to medicating fish and just dropping them into a tank with a UV sterilizer, I did lose some to parasites and other illnesses.  I personally run UV sterilizers on tanks less than a year old or tanks that may be overly stocked due to help prevent algae and bacteria blooms.  And yes, a long time ago I did experience what you wrote about how it appeared to help in the clearing up Ich. 

Thank ya Ben ☺  I am a big fan of the med trio. I currently  have started doing as cory suggests and quarantine  all incoming  fish and giving  them the med trio as requirement  for entering  any other tank. I was just kinda wondering  if a uv sterilization could be the a worthwhile  addition  to my quarantine tank for extra treatment procedure. Kinda belt and suspenders hahaha

• Administrators

When it comes to uv sterilizers, there is a ton to consider really. The short version would be, in general they help. However in your case of ich, you need lots of UV, and slow flow to actually change the ich parasite to not replicate. This is usually not how our UV filters/devices are setup in our aquariums without careful consideration. But yes, I find them to be helpful in keeping water clear for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

Thank ya Ben ☺  I am a big fan of the med trio. I currently  have started doing as cory suggests and quarantine  all incoming  fish and giving  them the med trio as requirement  for entering  any other tank. I was just kinda wondering  if a uv sterilization could be the a worthwhile  addition  to my quarantine tank for extra treatment procedure. Kinda belt and suspenders hahaha

UV sterilization lights kills the free swimming stage of Ich, as well as algal and bacterial blooms.