Canister during power outage

Guppysnail

Speaking from first hand experience, for 24-28 hours, you'll be perfectly fine leaving the canister sealed up. Last year a hurricane knocked out my power for a few days, and my bacteria survived in my canister just fine. Only thing I did was run a battery powered air stone in the tank to keep some oxygen in the water and provide a little circulation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, Phantom240 said:

Speaking from first hand experience, for 24-28 hours, you'll be perfectly fine leaving the canister sealed up. Last year a hurricane knocked out my power for a few days, and my bacteria survived in my canister just fine. Only thing I did was run a battery powered air stone in the tank to keep some oxygen in the water and provide a little circulation. 

I second this. I went 4 days no power and when I got back in and tested daily after restart I never saw any spikes. If you're going long term without power just don't feed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Phantom240 said:

Speaking from first hand experience, for 24-28 hours, you'll be perfectly fine leaving the canister sealed up.

This…

On 7/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, Randall from Texas said:

. I went 4 days no power and when I got back in and tested daily after restart I never saw any spikes.

And this…

You would more than likely have to go weeks (as opposed to hours, or even some days) without seeing much of a problem in an adequately established planted setup.