I have a used 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that has peeling seals along the bottom edges of the tank. It is not leaking now, but the silicone is beat up bad. Should I go about resealing the inside seals, resealing inside and structural, or leave it alone? This would be my first time doing this and would gladly accept any advice or tips.

On 7/2/2021 at 1:26 AM, Dino Tamer said:

I have a used 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that has peeling seals along the bottom edges of the tank. It is not leaking now, but the silicone is beat up bad. Should I go about resealing the inside seals, resealing inside and structural, or leave it alone? This would be my first time doing this and would gladly accept any advice or tips.

youtube and google is your friend.

I have resealed a 150 gallon tankand it was work, my first go around the tank leaked so I had to restrip down all the silicone again and redo it.......I used black silcon

I'm not the one to give the steps on how I did it I just did it but I will say a good razor scraper lots of razors and Acetone......DON'T FORGET THE ACETONE.

When you think you have all the silicone scraped off  think again make sure you feel no left over old silicone, cause new silicone does not bound well with old silcon......

• Like 1

I agree with everything Big Green said and would add that painters tape will help ensure good, clean lines when resealing. It lets you decide in advance exactly where you'll be putting the silicone and then gives you sharp, crisp lines afterward. Once you've sealed the tank, simply remove the tape while the silicone is uncured and you'll be in good shape.

• Like 1

I also agree with all of the above advice. I just finished doing a 90g reseal. Check out my journal for pictures. If I can find the YouTube video I learned from, I will try and copy link for you. I found it the most straight forward. The inside layer is your first line of defense and should be solid. As long as you don't see any air bubbles or gaps in the silicone where the two pieces of glass join, you will not have to take the actual glass apart. That is what I have learned but without seeing the tank, don't take my word on that part. Luckily I just had to do inside seals. If you are doing it, you will have to do it all though. 4 corners and bottom because new and old silicone are mortal enemies. Now that I have rambled on, you got this. It seems intimidating at first but is straight forward once you get going. Best of luck.

• Like 1