Staghorn algae.

AJE

Peroxide treatment, then the fish, snails, or shrimp eat it or it just fades away.  Use 3% peroxide, I’ve heard up to 10 mls per gallon but have never come close to that.  Turn off all filters/pumps and let the water go reasonably still.  I use a pipette or a syringe with tubing attached and squirt it directly over the affected area.  Leave the filters/pumps off for around 10 minutes, then restart all circulation.  It usually takes a couple days and you should see the algae go pinkish or grayish.  Then snails, shrimp, or some fish will eat it or it just dissolves away.  May need to repeat a few times depending on your parameters.  If you have the wrong balance of nutrients to light, it will return there or somewhere else.

Ask me how I know.  😆 🤷🏻‍♀️

If you have a particularly troublesome spot, you can pull it out and treat with a higher concentration of peroxide for a short time.  You can also significantly damage plants that way, so do it with caution.  Especially plants that don’t like to be uprooted, like Crypts.  I have done this when transferring affected plants to a “no algae yet” tank.  Used about 2/3 water and 1/3 peroxide and just the leaves, not the roots, until I could see fine bubbles coming up for about 3 minutes.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, AJE said:

What are some ways you all kill staghorn algae? 

what is it attached to, you maybe able to pull what ever it is attached to out and clean it with tap water.

I'm fighting a little bit of it myself in my 100 gallon tank, didn't have this issue untill I started using easy green from co-op.....that want happen again. I hate any of the ideas they say to use to get rid of Stag, none of them are really safe  and can cause more harm than good if not done right. 

I do know I will not use the Peroxide treatment, I have  fish that will be like, oh cooool look at the bubbles lest go chase them......

Good luck....

Edited by BIG GREEN

On 7/1/2021 at 11:56 PM, BIG GREEN said:

can you take the moss brige out

I can. I tried keeping it emerged for about a week but it didn’t really seem to effect it. It’s funny that you say you didn’t start getting staghorn algae until you started using easy green. I too just started using easy green, huh

On 7/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, AJE said:

Thanks. The problem area is in my moss bridge, will this treatment hurt the moss?

I’ve used it on a couple kinds of moss - Fissidens nobilis and Christmas moss.  No apparent damage to the moss.

• Like 1

@BIG GREENI also noticed staghorn after I started using Easy Green (liquid). I previously used Seachem Flourish and did a capful twice a week. I think Easy Green is stronger and I may be using it too often. I love how much my plants have grown so I will continue to use it; I just need to try some modification.

I have a 29g tank. I do three pumps (~30g equivalent) two times a week. I have a Finnex Stingray light on the tank which is on from 8am to 9pm daily. (Perhaps less light too?)

I am going to try the peroxide treatment, then only pump once a week and see if it makes a difference.

210425923_10159305039355851_7135172213521294014_n.jpeg

• Like 1