Phosphate: 1-2ppm

Nitrate: 50ppm

Nitrite:0ppm

Gh:about 150ppm

Kh: 80ppm

Ph:7.6

Chlorine: 0

Ammonia: 0

I have this hair algae issue. I didny have an issue in this take for a while. What's unbalanced. 

I have a simple aqueon light on for 12hrs a day. Is the hair algae coming from an the phosphate and lighting?

20210701_203652.jpg

Probably from too much lighting. Reduce the light time to 7 or 8 hours and see how it does.  Try getting your nitrates down below 40. I'd also add some nitrate eaters like hornwort, floater plants work really good too. A real good plant for reducing nitrates is actually a house plant, the infamous pothos. For 4 or 5 dollars you can get a small potted one. Rinse the soil and perlite out of the roots and hang the plant out of the back of the tank.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Alec said:

@Patrick_G how should I attach them? Do you have a suggestion?

We just sort of hung ours over the side of the tank, but if they’re not the right shape you could try something like a clothespin or a little kitchen clip. You could even make a hook with a twist tie. 

On 7/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

We just sort of hung ours over the side of the tank, but if they’re not the right shape you could try something like a clothespin or a little kitchen clip. You could even make a hook with a twist tie. 

Okay I'll try that out. Hopefully I'll really start it see more growth on both the roots and vine! 

On 7/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Alec said:

@Patrick_G how should I attach them? Do you have a suggestion?

My wife uses crafting wire, so thinner than metal coat hangers, but still stiff enough to hold shape. Then she slides air hose over the wire, bends it into a big loop type hook.

usually we trim the wicked points off.. gotta go do that.

20210702_101720.jpg.edbebc240d442bc09c1b0c3bc471e3a7.jpg

Edited by Griznatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1