Lake Tanganyika Thread

Craiger

I keep Tropheus Ikola, Petrochromis  Trewavasae, Multifasciatus, Ocellatus Gold, Julidochromis Marlieri, 

Neolamprologus  pulcher, Neolamprologus leleupi, Synodontis Petricola. Cyprichromis Leptosoma and Cyphotilapia Gibberosa "Moba". 

• Like 1

Pretty happy to see this thread!

I plan on setting up a 55 gal Tanganyika tank. I haven't kept african cichlids before, so I'm kinda aiming for something easy to find and common enough that I can find a lot of people with experience keeping them. My thought is set up a rock wall (probably on one end) for transcriptus and an open area on the sand for multies. Kinda curious if that would leave room for something to inhabit the open water areas higher up (and what would be a good candidate) or if I should stick to these two for now.

I'm also curious how much these guys would breed. A predicament I'm in currently is I have a ton of guppies in the middle of covid. Once the local club starts meetings again I'm hoping I can offload a bunch during auctions. Would these be easier to manage? Can I expect the mix of species to manage each others' populations?

Edited by dublicious

13 hours ago, dublicious said:

Pretty happy to see this thread!

I plan on setting up a 55 gal Tanganyika tank. I haven't kept african cichlids before, so I'm kinda aiming for something easy to find and common enough that I can find a lot of people with experience keeping them. My thought is set up a rock wall (probably on one end) for transcriptus and an open area on the sand for multies. Kinda curious if that would leave room for something to inhabit the open water areas higher up (and what would be a good candidate) or if I should stick to these two for now.

I'm also curious how much these guys would breed. A predicament I'm in currently is I have a ton of guppies in the middle of covid. Once the local club starts meetings again I'm hoping I can offload a bunch during auctions. Would these be easier to manage? Can I expect the mix of species to manage each others' populations?

I feel that a pair ofJuli's and Multi's will go well together. In a 55 gallon tank. I would do a rock pile for the Juli pair on one end and have a tall single rock as a barrier between the Juli's and the Multi's. Juli Transcriptus in my opinion are not quite as proficient breeders as the Marlieri. I would start with the Multifasciatus and the Julidochromis, let that go for a few months and see what area's the Juli's start to claim, if the stay in the rocks you could add some cyprichromis but again in my opinion I think the 55 is not big enough front to back for a group of Cyps with Juli's and Multi's.

Hope this helps...

4 hours ago, Craiger said:

I feel that a pair ofJuli's and Multi's will go well together. In a 55 gallon tank. I would do a rock pile for the Juli pair on one end and have a tall single rock as a barrier between the Juli's and the Multi's. Juli Transcriptus in my opinion are not quite as proficient breeders as the Marlieri. I would start with the Multifasciatus and the Julidochromis, let that go for a few months and see what area's the Juli's start to claim, if the stay in the rocks you could add some cyprichromis but again in my opinion I think the 55 is not big enough front to back for a group of Cyps with Juli's and Multi's.

Hope this helps...

I see. Thanks!

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

what would be good to breed in a 20 long? i have almost perfect water(the ph is 7.8)

I would start with 6 of which ever you choose below for a 20L. Multifasciatus, Similis, Caudopunctatus are all but impossible to sex when young. In a 20L IMO you will have to remove some of the original 6 once a pair or 1M/2F trio is formed. If you're looking to breed Multifasciatus, or Similis to sell, use pvc elbows vs shells it is MUCH easier to catch them.

VideoCapture_20210202-074748.jpg

VideoCapture_20210202-075024.jpg