Brand new

Hello all!

Trying this out. I tend to be a wallflower that absorbs info but at the moment I'm in over my head.

My fish keeping journey keeps taking twists. My "well-researched" Mother's day gift of a Biorb turned into a new hobby but came with lots of hurdles. I've dealt with Ich, learned that quarantining is important, failed at a couple tank designs, ordered my first fish online (and it wasn't what I paid for), and upgraded the filtration on a Biorb.

Right now I'm struggling with filtration for a 5 gallon (flow too strong for a Betta). Trying to find fish that get along in the Biorb (because once they are in there, it's really hard to get them out since its a giant ball), and just starting with plants (absolutely terrified of killing fish with fertilizer for the plants). 

I'll probably browse around for info but welcome any advice. 

Jayne 

• Like 2

Welcome, Jayne! Hang in there. Many of us have bumpy starts. Ich happens to every aquarist eventually. Ordering fish online can be a challenge. Fortunately, many online sellers are excellent. For Bettas in a 5 gal, I like a seasoned  “Bacto-Surge” sponge filter with a air-control valve. For your Biorb, look into Glowlight Pygmy Barbs. They’re small and wonderfully active. Add more plants! Do not be afraid of using Easy Green as dosage recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, bettatester said:

Welcome! I completely feel the absorbing too much info and getting in over my head.

Is the 5 gallon the bioorb? If not, I would use a sponge filter for the betta. Also, how big is the bioorb?

The Biorb is 16 gallons. I upgraded the filtration system with a double layer of filter sponge topped by biohome filtration media. (Pondguru on YouTube). It works amazing now. I don't lose fish to the filtration and I can add plants. 

I am looking into a sponge filter for the 5 gallon. It has a HOB right now with a marble filled soap dish underneath to disapate the flow.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, Greenlikeafox said:

The Biorb is 16 gallons. I upgraded the filtration system with a double layer of filter sponge topped by biohome filtration media. (Pondguru on YouTube). It works amazing now. I don't lose fish to the filtration and I can add plants. 

I am looking into a sponge filter for the 5 gallon. It has a HOB right now with a marble filled soap dish underneath to disapate the flow.

Awesome! 

Yeah, definitely recommend the sponge for a betta. That or a HOB meant for a smaller tank (which is not likely possible in the case of a 5gal). 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:30 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Greetings @Greenlikeafox! I’m the guy who @Patrick_Gmentioned with the 11 g bowl. Fish I’d recommend- male guppies or Endlers 2-4, whiteclouds and celestial pearl danios. I like Neocaridina shrimp and snails in bowls as well. 

Your bowl is amazing! 

Right now the bowl has the handsom fellow pictured below (no name yet), a hillstream loach and 3 lemon tetras. (There were 5 but they eliminated one of their own in quarantine and the previous Betta overlord fought off the aggressive male).  Definitely will need more cleanup crew but since its freshly established there isn't much algee to feed them.

20210701_125958.jpg

• Love 4

On 7/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, GameCzar said:

Welcome!  In our betta tank we use a nano-sponge filter with a simple air control valve in the tubing so we can dial back the bubbles. 

I'm a big fan of bettas, so I'd love to see yours!

I think that's where we're heading. So glad it works well. 

I have three Bettas and boy are they different personalities!

On 7/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

Welcome, Jayne! Hang in there. Many of us have bumpy starts. Ich happens to every aquarist eventually. Ordering fish online can be a challenge. Fortunately, many online sellers are excellent. For Bettas in a 5 gal, I like a seasoned  “Bacto-Surge” sponge filter with a air-control valve. For your Biorb, look into Glowlight Pygmy Barbs. They’re small and wonderfully active. Add more plants! Do not be afraid of using Easy Green as dosage recommended.

Pygmy Barbs, you say? That sounds like a fish that would fit my ascetic goal as well as the current inhabitants.  Will look into them. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, Greenlikeafox said:

Pygmy Barbs, you say? That sounds like a fish that would fit my ascetic goal as well as the current inhabitants.  Will look into them. Thanks.

Here’s a somewhat distant short video of ours racing around a 20 gal long...

• Love 1

@Greenlikeafox I’d stick with amanos as a cleanup crew. I’d get the bigger ones - aquahuna sells XL size - to prevent the betta from messing with them. The bigger ones are tough as nails. I usually add then at the 6 to 12 week mark when there’s a good amount of algae for them to eat. Ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails are great but prolific. Cappuccino snails don’t replicate in freshwater and are cool looking. Nerites are great but leave little sesame seed size eggs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Greenlikeafox I’d stick with amanos as a cleanup crew. I’d get the bigger ones - aquahuna sells XL size - to prevent the betta from messing with them. The bigger ones are tough as nails. I usually add then at the 6 to 12 week mark when there’s a good amount of algae for them to eat. Ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails are great but prolific. Cappuccino snails don’t replicate in freshwater and are cool looking. Nerites are great but leave little sesame seed size eggs. 

Thanks! Will look for those. Shrimp aren't my favorite to look at but balance is better. 

On 7/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, GameCzar said:

Welcome!  In our betta tank we use a nano-sponge filter with a simple air control valve in the tubing so we can dial back the bubbles. 

I'm a big fan of bettas, so I'd love to see yours!

On 7/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

• Like 1