Help with Hair Algae!!

Hi All,

Having a hard time trying to get rid of Hair algae from my plants and driftwood. I got a 54 litre tank and it just keeps growing. I got a couple amano shrimps and today bought a couple of nerite snails. But is there anything else i can do to stop it growing/remove it? 

Also cutting down my light to 6 hours per day hoping that helps too! my tank parameters are fine i do weekly changes and tests and have no issues with it

Flagfish eat hair algae like crazy, and every other kind of algae, too. Females are peaceful, males are aggressive, so make sure you get a female. Look for the black spot on the back of the dorsal fin, males will have a mostly red dorsal with no spot. Hair algae likes to keep coming back, so getting a fish that likes to eat it is incredibly helpful. I have a team of female flagfish that I regularly use to clean up extra stubborn types of algae. They'll even eat staghorn! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a quarantine tank which has a bunch of algae, including hair algae. Algae is good for water quality, but hair algae is aggravating. I remove it every few days by using my planting tweezers. I grab some of the hair algae with the tweezers and twirl the tweezers around, wrapping hair algae around them. It's like harvesting nitrates.

I have a feeling that too much light may be the problem.

• Like 1

Yeah i dont mind some on the the wood! just the plants i hate lol, bought a smart plug to control the light, i hope it goes well! thanks for you help 🙂

I also have been taking it off with tweezers but its headache lol

• Like 1