I got really attached to a baby betta at work and brought him home

To be fair, he was nearly white and super skinny and sickly in the cup. I put him in one of our plant bays at work and fed him frozen mysis, bloodworms, and baby brine for a week and now he’s gorgeous! I haven’t had a betta that wasn’t a rescue or surrender since I was a child, but I’m now remembering why they’re such incredible fish. I put him in the 11 gallon aio cube because we were having trouble sourcing a pea puffer for it, so now I’ll have to create a new scape for our future pea puffer ohhh noooooo 😂

Anyway, here’s Jack Frost, he’s a stunner even though he’s just a veiltail. Here’s a short video that shows off the beautiful icy blue shimmer over his golden fins.

1C8D6ED0-75B8-41D5-8530-9B9D18081A36.jpeg.f46e86cb74240dcb97b2c1c88a7c7788.jpeg

I had just fed him some white worms in the above photo, so he’s got a nice full belly. I’m a firm believer in bettas having full bellies, it’s what gives them the strength to haul around their large finnage. 

6A7F42F6-F481-443C-9E80-BE456813E392.jpeg.f37572cc81697d769a13398a17aa310e.jpeg

Anyway, I’m really proud of the progress this little dude has made and I look forward to seeing how he grows and changes over time. He has such great personality! Who else has a betta that had a gorgeous transformation? I’d love to see. I wish I had before photos of Jack, but I didn’t think I’d get so attached to him, so I didn’t bother 🤦‍♀️ Silly me.

Edited by Nirvanaquatics
  • Like 5
  • Love 7

On 7/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, bettatester said:

It's so hard not to rescue all the bettas, haha!

Thankfully my store usually only orders enough to put into actual tanks, but we ended up with 4 in overstock for a little while and Jack was one of them. We rarely lose bettas due to cups, so I wasn’t going to let him be one of the few.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:58 AM, Nirvanaquatics said:

Thankfully my store usually only orders enough to put into actual tanks, but we ended up with 4 in overstock for a little while and Jack was one of them. We rarely lose bettas due to cups, so I wasn’t going to let him be one of the few.

I have encouraged my pet store to do the same! and I also rescue them from work. Our most recent shipment arrived with a lot of fin rot... it won't stay away!!