Banana plants flower and can produce viable seeds, but a common way to propagate them is through leaf/stem propagation:

image.png.574ca9a0ae259c91f752bf56c2edd4

Roots will form at the end of a broken off leaf stem.

They are native to the east coast of the United States and are one of my favorite plants. I sometimes collect them locally.

• Like 4

Thanks so much Daniel. I love my Banana plants. It was my first aquarium plant probably 25+ years ago and I recently found 6 at my LFS. We are now supplying that LFS with some fish,snails and soon plants. Approximately how long until you see roots after taking a leaf cutting?

On 7/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, JoshStover said:

Thanks so much Daniel. I love my Banana plants. It was my first aquarium plant probably 25+ years ago and I recently found 6 at my LFS. We are now supplying that LFS with some fish,snails and soon plants. Approximately how long until you see roots after taking a leaf cutting?

Typically 1 - 2 weeks.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 3:07 PM, JoshStover said:

I also meant to ask you if it can be grown emerged?

No, in the wild they are mostly found with the bananas partially stuck in mud or sand with lily pads rising to the top, or free floating. I have never seen them emerged.

Here is what they look like in the wild:

971448334_FieldofBananaplants.jpg.158f79

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 7/11/2021 at 1:15 PM, JoshStover said:

Daniel, I’m getting a crazy amount of Lilly pads now. Can I propagate them just like with the leaves? Thanks!

Sure, why not. If I were trying this now, I would do a few with a root promoter like Clonex Rooting Gel to see if it upped my success rate. I haven't tried this on banana plants before (just terrestrial plants), but I think it is worth a try.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, Daniel said:

Sure, why not. If I were trying this now, I would do a few with a root promoter like Clonex Rooting Gel to if it upped my success rate. I haven't tried this on banana plants before (just terrestrial plants), but I think it is worth a try.

I have a bunch of rooting hormone. I’ll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

• Like 1