Adding Garlic to Repashy

TMartins

Hello Community, someone suggested to me that I could add fresh garlic to my Repashy Community Plus food. 

Peel the garlic cloves, microwave it for 10 seconds, cut the cloves lengthwise and then place the strips in dechlorinated water, then let it sit for at least 12 hours or longer for a stronger solution.

This would be a homemade solution in place of using Seachem Garlic Guard.  I've read in the Co-Op forums about the benefits of garlic for Aquarium fish but I wanted to make sure this was safe for the fish.  

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, TMartins said:

Hello Community, someone suggested to me that I could add fresh garlic to my Repashy Community Plus food. 

Peel the garlic cloves, microwave it for 10 seconds, cut the cloves lengthwise and then place the strips in dechlorinated water, then let it sit for at least 12 hours or longer for a stronger solution.

This would be a homemade solution in place of using Seachem Garlic Guard.  I've read in the Co-Op forums about the benefits of garlic for Aquarium fish but I wanted to make sure this was safe for the fish.  

I have not tried that personally but there was a research paper published in the 2006 "Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins Including Tropical Diseases " on the positive effects of garlic in aquarium fish (link below). Essentially it found that 3% concentration of garlic to the body weight of the fish was beneficial.

I have used drops of vitachem in the repashy prep and if I were to try garlic cloves I would experiment with your method; essentially get the garlic to innoculate some water and add drops of that garlic water into the standard repashy mix with regular hot water until I got the fish interest and garlic benefit to where I was comfortable using it without overdoing the concentration. I imagine that is also similar to garlic guard application.

https://academic.microsoft.com/paper/1964543478/citedby/search?q=Effects of Garlic (Alliumsativum) and chloramphenicol on growth performance%2C physiological parameters and survival of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)&qe=RId%3D1964543478&f=&orderBy=0

• Like 3

On 6/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I have not tried that personally but there was a research paper published in the 2006 "Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins Including Tropical Diseases " on the positive effects of garlic in aquarium fish (link below). Essentially it found that 3% concentration of garlic to the body weight of the fish was beneficial.

I have used drops of vitachem in the repashy prep and if I were to try garlic cloves I would experiment with your method; essentially get the garlic to innoculate some water and add drops of that garlic water into the standard repashy mix with regular hot water until I got the fish interest and garlic benefit to where I was comfortable using it without overdoing the concentration. I imagine that is also similar to garlic guard application.

https://academic.microsoft.com/paper/1964543478/citedby/search?q=Effects of Garlic (Alliumsativum) and chloramphenicol on growth performance%2C physiological parameters and survival of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)&qe=RId%3D1964543478&f=&orderBy=0

I'm going to give this a try with the Igapo mix.

• Like 2

I just wanted to add that the homemade concoction I suggested is good for up to 2 weeks refrigerated.  You can also soak up any fish food in it.  I just microwaved a couple of cloves and am soaking it in water now.  I think I will be trying not only with the Repashy but soaking the Vipra Bites.  I read that garlic will make any finicky fish eat…

• Like 1

@Armyvet My fish go crazy for Repashy, I watched Cory talk about it in one of his videos and gave it a try.  My fish came down with Ich and I’m treating them with Ich-X right now and at my LFS (and since I’m a huge fan of garlic myself) I asked about any foods to help my fish with their immune systems and one of the customers gave me this info.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:11 PM, TMartins said:

On 6/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

On 6/30/2021 at 8:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

I use garlic guard for its ease of use but am curious if I could use my homegrown garlic. Hopefully you will get some good answers. 

Just wanted to let everyone know I tried garlic in the Igapo Explorer mix and my fish went berserk as soon as it touched the water. I used 1/2 a clove of fresh garlic ground on the grater in the pic to 1/4 cup of Igapo Explorer. 

20210702_191054.jpg

Edited by Johnny B. Goode
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, Johnny B. Goode said:

Just wanted to let everyone know I tried garlic in the Igapo Explorer mix and my fish went berserk as soon as it touched the water. I used 1/2 a clove of fresh garlic ground on the grater in the pic to 1/4 cup of Igapo Explorer. 

20210702_191054.jpg

so did you mix raw garlic in to the gel/water mix? I'd love to try this! I have Soilent Green, Community Plus and Igapo Explorer so far.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:41 PM, laritheloud said:

so did you mix raw garlic in to the gel/water mix? I'd love to try this! I have Soilent Green, Community Plus and Igapo Explorer so far.

I did. I just got the amount of garlic I wanted in the bowl then dumped the dry mix on top and mixed in the boiling water.

Edit: Even the yoyo and angelicus loaches are fighting over it. I've not seen my loaches touch it before adding the garlic.

Edited by Johnny B. Goode
  • Like 1

I used the fresh garlic water concoction and soaked Vibra Bites and Repashy Community (I had some already made) with it for 5 minutes, my fish loved it.  @Johnny B. Goode I think grinding garlic with a grater is a great idea and I think I’m going to try it the next time.  It was funny to watch the Albino Cory’s suck it right up!!!

• Like 1