Tankmates While Breeding Shrimp

Scott C

I am in the process of growing my Orange Neocaridinia shrimp colony (in a 55 gallon planted aquarium) and currently only have a few adolescent bristle-nose plecos and 3 golden mystery snails, I'd love to get a group of nano schooling fish to compliment the mid to upper tank that is almost unused currently. My initial thoughts were a bunch of Green Neon Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai) I love the look and think they could cohabitate well. Does anyone have experience keeping these together, will the rasbora be able and actively eat shrimpletts? Anyone have other ideas, experience, suggestions?

GreenKubotaiRasbora_1_1400x.jpg?v=158458

I do, I had a dozen of them in my 75 and they rarely ate any shrimp fry. I only saw them do so once in my 55, and to be fair the (micro sized) fry swam up to the top of the tank, right in front of the rasborah.. so he swallowed it. They happily coexist with about 100 or so (that I can see) in my 75 gallon, Got a dozen kubotai and about the same amount of white clouds in there.

• Like 1

I currently keep kubotai rasbora with my cherry shrimp colony in a 10 gallon, and the shrimp are doing just fine.  I've also kept ember tetras, chili rasbora, guppies, and threadfin rainbows with shrimp.  I'm sure a few get picked off, but I try to create rockpiles and lots of live plants for them to hide in.

I keep celestial pearl danios in my community tank that has shrimp. They do fine might pick off one or two of the newly hatched shrimp but after 1 or 2 molts they are to big to fit in CPD mouth. They usually stay hidden until then so it’s only the not so smart or very brave shrimpletts that get snacked on.  My cpd are so active and add an amazing amount of life and energy to a tank.

• Love 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975You are going to have a heck of a busy tank. They breed almost daily. One thing I noticed as soon as the morning breeding is done (always more so with natural sunrise) they eat then they actively hunt down and eat all their eggs missing only one or two. I had a java moss clump stuck inside a plastic log decor in the front corner. They laid eggs every day I distracted with food and switched java moss and log for ones I kept in a bucket beside the tank. You will have hundreds in a month that way. I not only stopped I removed every drop of moss it was becoming a swarm.  

Edited by Guppysnail