Discussion about Buenos Aires tetra

Where did this notion that they eat plants come from? I have them in 2 planted tank. Both schools of 12. My friend also has a school of 25 in his 125 planted tank. Not a single plant in either of our tanks has ever been touched. Between the 3 tanks there is every kind of plant you could think of. Swords, stem plants, floating plants, crypts, ferns, moss. Seriously a smorgasbord of plants and none have been touched. Any thoughts? Also our fish are from different suppliers if they makes any difference. 

On 6/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, Tim513 said:

I have a school of 9 of them and had to take them out of my large aquarium.  They were decimating my pogostemon, jungle val, and amazon sword.  They completely left the java fern and mosses alone, though.  I didn't look up information before I got them into the tank, though. 🤔

That's so crazy how ours don't touch plants and yours nearly destroyed a tank full. I've had mine for about 3 months and my friend has had his for well over a year.

I was a little upset about it because they are not easy to catch in my tank, and it took a long time.  Overall, it was worth it.  They are doing better away from all their favorite munchies and can swim at my school.   The kids will like them there.     I really do like these little guys, too!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, Colu said:

I think the Reason they eat plants in some tanks and non in other tanks is down how much vegetable matter they have  in there diet 

I do feed them emerald entree once a week. I like to try and give all my fish some kind of veggie. Mostly spirulina flake except for the bigger fish like the Buenos Aires. So I have inadvertently made mine not eat my plants because of what I feed them.  That's pretty cool to know. I wonder if that could be pulled off with silver dollars?

On 7/1/2021 at 12:21 AM, Johnny B. Goode said:

So I have inadvertently made mine not eat my plants because of what I feed

What I have found over the years that some fish that eat plants will leave plants completely untouched if you feed the appropriate diet

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:37 AM, Johnny B. Goode said:

I might try this with silver dollars and some tougher plants like anubis. 

I think if you feed heavily with vegetables matter and things like spirulina flakes and some algae wafers you could get away with it

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:21 PM, Johnny B. Goode said:

I do feed them emerald entree once a week. I like to try and give all my fish some kind of veggie. Mostly spirulina flake except for the bigger fish like the Buenos Aires. So I have inadvertently made mine not eat my plants because of what I feed them.  That's pretty cool to know. I wonder if that could be pulled off with silver dollars?

I have a fish fence separating the larger fish from the plants.  The small fish swim through it and seem to prefer the the live plant side.  If the Silver Dollars can be retrained, I could finally plant the whole tank.