Insulating an above ground pond.

DomDom

Hi everyone. I've got a preformed 1000lt pond that is being built into a raised bed. It's fine to have it fully above ground, but i wanted to know if it would be a good idea to put something under it, like some kind of insulation or cushioning? Also should there be insulation put around the sides of the pond as well?

Thank you.

On 6/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I have a 70 gal half sunk into the ground and found that dirt is a fairly good "insulator", at least it keeps the temp from big fluctuations. what is your purpose for insulating? are you trying to keep it warmer/cooler? 

Thank's for reply. I was more worried about having it cushioned so that it's protected and doesn't split or crack. Or at least is less likely.

i dont think you need anything under, assuming smooth ground and no rocks. however if you are really concerned about it, a sheet of the 1" thick polystyrene insulation would provide a cushioned base, and insulate it somewhat from the ground. https://insulation4us.com/products/owens-corning-foamular-250-xps-insulation-board-all-sizes?variant=32154942046257&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X00sbuJz8CWUrGjhyc5OF3s7fU8crM_AZdwfvZx1b2D4psdszl0TGrxoCQKcQAvD_BwE this is just the first thing that popped up in a search, but thats the stuff.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, lefty o said:

i dont think you need anything under, assuming smooth ground and no rocks. however if you are really concerned about it, a sheet of the 1" thick polystyrene insulation would provide a cushioned base, and insulate it somewhat from the ground. https://insulation4us.com/products/owens-corning-foamular-250-xps-insulation-board-all-sizes?variant=32154942046257&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X00sbuJz8CWUrGjhyc5OF3s7fU8crM_AZdwfvZx1b2D4psdszl0TGrxoCQKcQAvD_BwE this is just the first thing that popped up in a search, but thats the stuff.

Thanks. It's going onto a cement base but i would feel better knowing there was something under it.